• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Patio Peppers Growing in Edison, NJ

This is what i have growing on my patio/deck. Nothing major, but i know i can handle this. I need to pick up some mulch tomorrow. Not sure what kind to get.

In the pot on the small table i have a regular habanero plant. I think it's growth was stunted by a small container before this new one. It seems healthy though. Just not much upward growth. Plenty of buds, but nothing substantial. No aphids either.

In the brand new pot (the long one) is a chocolate habanero (the largest of the 3) and 2 bhut jolokia. I picked these up today at my local nursery.

It's neighbors in other containers are assorted cooking herbs like basil, parsley, thyme, oregano, etc. One tomato plant and some stevia and chamomile. I'm limited to containers here, so i have to make due with what i have.

In stock i have run o the mill miracle grow for the basically idiot proof herbs. A supply of fish emulsion, some neem oil, and my ingenuity.

I will accept any and all tips, tricks, hints, etc. If i'm doing anything wrong, say so.

Here are some pics...
S2010066.jpg

S2010065.jpg

S2010064.jpg

(my camera is garbage)

What do you think so far?:onfire:

WOW looking good! I too am pretty much limited to pots. The season here just isn't long enough to get much production from the dirt. I plant some in the ground every year, but don't end up with much. Pots are the way to go if you ask me anyway, when bad weather comes you can bring em inside or under shelter. Plus, you can extend your season by bringing them in at night when it gets cold.

915river said:
Very nice , second picture is very healty plant wish you good harvest.
Yeah the ChocoHabs looked too pretty to pass up. I went looking for Bhut and they look pretty good as well. A little younger than i'd hoped, but no worries. You can't rush success. Thanks though. I can use all the luck i can get.

gardenkiller said:
That long rectangular planter might be a little on the shallow side, but you shouldn't have any problems with it.
Ya sure? It's 10" deep with about 9" of soil. The ones with the herbs are about half that.

The gods have blessed my new seedlings with some wonderful summer evening rain and though the gutters overflowed, it was nowhere near close to damaging my new peppers. :D

I would not have known it was raining had i not gone out to give a late night watering before bedtime. I need to add more soil to the new guys, but the roots looked sufficiently covered to keep them afloat until tomorrow.

fineexampl said:
Ya sure? It's 10" deep with about 9" of soil. The ones with the herbs are about half that.

Ahhh I didn't realize they were that deep. Most of them that I have seen are only six inches deep or so. Ignore me!

Pepperfreak said:
fineexampl,those are nice and healty looking plants. Does the "regular Hab" mean its an Orange Hab? Just curious...LOL
It's hard to tell. It's no red savina or anything. The label it had did not specify, but i assume they'd end up orange/red. It only said "habanero" and nothing more. :rolleyes: We'll have to wait and see.

Heheee I bought a pack of "Burpee mixed hot pepper seeds" this year that has 5 varieties in it. At the time, I was thinking that they would have these different varieties in separate, marked packets. Well, needless to say they weren't and I now have about 5 containers with plants that I just call mystery peppers...LOL At first if was driving me crazy not knowing what I wqas growing. Now, it has turned into something like a game.

Pepperfreak said:
Heheee I bought a pack of "Burpee mixed hot pepper seeds" this year that has 5 varieties in it. At the time, I was thinking that they would have these different varieties in separate, marked packets. Well, needless to say they weren't and I now have about 5 containers with plants that I just call mystery peppers...LOL At first if was driving me crazy not knowing what I wqas growing. Now, it has turned into something like a game.
Had i grown from seeds, i would have bought those as well. I love a good mystery.

hey nice pics.Your habs will go like wild fire with the hot weather.Mine hit afterburner once we hit the 90`s steady.Good luck on a good draw. Rich

Pepperfreak said:

Same boat here Pepperfreak. I didn't know much about peppers before I started so I got the mixed burpee pack too. I have a bunch of plants but only know the variety of one Hab that I bought separately. I am kind of excited to find out the different kinds!

Nice plants fineexampl, Do you find that the peppers grow good that close together in the planter? I have some planters I am getting ready to fill and was wondering how close together I can put them.

JJBagoose said:
Same boat here Pepperfreak. I didn't know much about peppers before I started so I got the mixed burpee pack too. I have a bunch of plants but only know the variety of one Hab that I bought separately. I am kind of excited to find out the different kinds!

Nice plants fineexampl, Do you find that the peppers grow good that close together in the planter? I have some planters I am getting ready to fill and was wondering how close together I can put them.
I really don't know. This is my first attempt. My previous attempt at pepper growing was dreadful. This time i'm prepared.

Spotted the neighbor's illegal cat on my patio again. IT'S WAR!!!:hell: I'm mixing up the hab spray tonight!

Back