• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Blossom drop before even opening

I have a Roma Tomato plant in my grow tent, that originally had many flowers but lack of pollination (which I have since solved with my other plants by hand pollinating), but right now, this plant is experiencing blossom drop even before the flowers open.

When I look at the flowers, they seem to be really thin, I'd expect them to be much wider before opening. Anyone seen this before, and have any sort of suggestions?

Temperature is not an issue. Doesnt get over 30 degrees centigrade during the day, and doesnt drop under 18 degrees at night.

I just recently moved the plant from hydro in perlite/vermiculite to a mixture of soil and perlite/vermiculite in a 12 inch pot. Before I moved the plant, I reckon I didnt see a single flower being formed. I am at least now seeing flowers showing up, but they aren't opening.

Might leave it for a week before I look at the broken egg shells at the base of the plant trick

MiLK_MaN said:
Might leave it for a week before I look at the broken egg shells at the base of the plant trick

Egg shells take a while to break down, if you are looking for a quick shot of calcium I would use a complete fert.

Oh and courtesy of Willard:
Flower/fruit drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low

Back