• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Some pods for the freezer

Some heat to keep me going this winter...:(
Jerry 
3gngIws.jpg

Wow! Quite a variety! Can you freeze whole pods just like that, or are there other steps? I'm going to have a ton at harvest and freezing would work out wonderfully! I'm eyeballing that yellow devils tongue or Fatalii in the bag. Yummy! They all look great!

It's a fatalii, and yeah freezing them whole works fine for me... mainly use them for chili or salsa.
Jerry

Bhuter said:
Wow! Quite a variety! Can you freeze whole pods just like that, or are there other steps? I'm going to have a ton at harvest and freezing would work out wonderfully! I'm eyeballing that yellow devils tongue or Fatalii in the bag. Yummy! They all look great!

Freezing just makes it so the seeds aren't viable (MOST of the time... some people still had luck growing from frozen seeds) if you do the whole pod like that.  I've been collecting seeds from everything I've gotten my hands on so I usually slice the pods in half, deseed, then freeze.  Now that I'm getting pretty stocked up on stuff and my own peppers are finally starting to ripen I'm just gonna start tossing them straight in like that as well.

That is really good to know. I'm an avid seed saver myself. So this thread has been extremely helpful! Thank you very much!

Back