• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Can you remember your first spicy experience?

I was between 4-5 and we lived with another family, one night their dad brought out some banana peppers and I begged to have one. Took a bite and ran to the bathroom and put my face under the faucet.

Can't remember the next time I ate anything spicy but that first encounter definitely didn't turn me off to spice because I always got the spiciest sauce at tacobell and bbq joints.

I think it was when I was about 9 or 10 and started eating buffalo wings. The "hot" wings just didn't cut it. There has been a lot of experimenting with different sauces and peppers since then.

I don't remember my first spicy experience, but I definitely remember my first real superhot experience. The first ripe superhot I ever grew was also the first whole superhot I ever ate. It was an original 7 Pot Red. I thought I was ready for it, but I wasn't even close. I had never felt anything like that before, and almost went into panic mode when my throat lit up.   :mouthonfire:  :lol:

I can't remember my first experience either, but it didn't take off until I discovered Indian food and hot flavours that weren't just cayenne or Tabasco sauce.

I will relate this story though.

I was working for a friend, in a home based business. We ordered something or other for dinner, and it came with fries, which were immediately drenched in Sriracha. While we were talking and drinking over dinner, my friends 2 yearold waddled up and grabbed a fry. I turned my head just as he ate it, and almost bowled over laughing at the look on his face. (The key to stopping children from crying, at least that child, was laughing. If you freaked out, he would cry. If you laughed, he would man up and laugh it off.) After chewing it down, he went back for more :rofl:

I remember my first experience with an orange habanero when I was a kid. I think that qualifies as a good starting point for what people perceive as truly spicy food. My dad bought some orange habs to make jerky for his buddies with since the cayenne he normally used wasn't hot enough for them. We both tried it and couldn't stand the pain and squirted lidocaine jelly, that we luckily had in the medicine cabinet, in our mouths to dull the pain. That was the beginning of the end for me. Ever since I have been fascinated with spicy food. Now I view orange habs about how most people would view a jalapeno.

I don't really remember the first, but the general experience. My family would go to this Mexican restaurant from time to time while I was growing up. I have an older brother plus 4 younger siblings. My older brother would start digging into the jalapenos and I was determined a) to keep up with him, and b) not to let anyone see how badly my mouth was burning via my reaction. Lord only knows how many times I swore they weren't bothering me! Over time, though, things have gone topsy-turvy - he rarely eats anything very spicy any more, while I eat significantly hotter than jalapenos on a regular basis. Ha! 

First Wife + In-laws + Really Good Laugh at my expense = First Thai Food (Almost ruined me until I met Second Wife)

Back