• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Crossing

Hello...

I know this has been asked b4, but after reading it, it didn't answer the specific questions that I have...So I thought I would ask and maybe someone can clear it up for me...please.

If you take say Scorpion "A" and cross it with say Scorpion "B"...you will get the seeds from that which will be F1 Scorpion ("AB"). I get that part. And I have done that.

Now it's the next part that doesn't make sense to me, so if some one could explain it to me please :

I plant the F1 ("AB") seeds, and when that grows. I read somewhere to cross it back with either Scorpion "A" or Scorpion "B" again. Or can I cross it with a whole diferent one say Scorpion "C" to have "AB.C" ?  Somewhere it said to cross F1 with F1 to get mutations, somewhere else it stated not to...so I am confussed about the matter.

Also, can I cross F1 with another F1 where both share one same strain ? ie  F1 (Scorpion A.B) with (Scorpion A.C) ?

To anyone who can answer this, I thank you...

Kinda confused me,if I have it right on what you mean,you have to grow that F1 out to stabalize it for a few generations.
After thatnyou have a new strain.
If I cross a habanero with a bird eye,I will get my F1 seeds,after a few years of growing it out I'll get my strain stabalized. Anything else?

You can do all of that. However, each time you cross with A.B to A.C, etc, it is still F1. You need to breed AB to AB for 8 generations in order to have a stable cross. If you cross AB with B you get an f1 ABB, which is not what you where looking for. Breeding F1 with F1 and F2 with F2 will make sure that the peppers have a greater and greater chance to produce the same type of offspring the next year. Up to the 99.95 ish percent chance of an ABF8 to an ABF8

Back