• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Milk Alternative for Cooling Down?

I'm lactose intolerant and I'm trying to figure out what's best to eat/drink after biting into a hot pepper to calm down the capsaicin burn that doesn't contain lactose.  Any suggestions?

as far as I know, casein in the milk is what works...

the burn mechanism of capsaicin is that it attaches to the heat receptors in the mouth and the only way to stop the burn is to bathe the area in something that replaces the capsaicin on the heat receptors...I don't know what else can do that....

As already mentioned, sugar helps. You need something that either helps block the receptors or effectively cleans the cap out of your mouth, or a combo of both. Sweetened tea is good, especially if it has lemon juice in it, because it has sugar and acts as an astringent. But something like coconut or almond "ice cream" also works, as does chewing on gummy bears (or your other favorite sugar-based candy.) Dry starches help, too. The tortilla chips served at Mex/Tex-Mex restaurants serve the dual purpose of a holder for salsa and as something to "mop up" the heat when eaten without salsa. Any dry starch helps - toast, saltine or other crackers, etc.

sicman said:
try a big ol glass of time
That's awesome.  Well played.

I can eat hard cheeses so cheddar / parmesan / swiss would help, and be more appetizing than swirling around some olive oil.  I also like the scrubbing almonds idea...peppers, almonds and maybe a nice tawny port.

And I'm all about the chips!  (or potatoes, or bread, or...)

Thanks everyone!

I always LMAO when I see these fools chugging 5 gallons of milk and they are still sucking air. All that does is wash the oils down to your stomach (at best).
Drinking milk does nothing. Try just a mouthful, swish it around then spit it out. Repeat. Even if you are LI, this could help.
I have put out major mouth fires with less that ½ cup of milk, half and half, or even ice cream. By spitting it out.

I bit into a pickled hot pepper once that was a little above my heat tolerance and it was a choice between beer and soymilk. The soymilk actually worked better than I thought cows milk would.

80 proof or better werks far better then anything from the bovine by products commonly used
Not eating pods above your pay grade is also helpful

Back