• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pickling questions

Can anyone tell me how to pickle Habanero and Scotch Bonnets in such a way so they keep their color? Mine always turn white.

Second question is: has anyone tried to pickle Bhut Jolokias?

Red, green, orange, yellow. They all lighten up a few shades to the point where they don't look appetizing.  Is there something that would help them keep their color? I typically use white vinegar.  I suspect the vinegar solution may have been too strong. Does that make sense?

Cold Pack will mostly guarantee color retention, but it has to be kept refrigerated.  There's another pickling thread around here with links.  Any time chiles are hot packed (boiling water bath or pressure cooked), there will be color loss.  To have them turn white sounds like they are waaaaaaay over-processed.

here you go-
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46468-canning-peppers-without-a-waterbath/

The majority of peppers i can are either green or yellow. Red ones i save for salsa hot sauces, pickles or 1 to jar of peppers for heat. Tumeric is your friend when canning yellow or green peppers and pickles. Always have good results. As SL said when canning you will always have some color loss but it should be extreme. I would guess that you are not packing enough peppers in your jars before processing or like SL said u are overprocessing. Are your processed jars 3/4 or more full with peppers and have about 1/4 room of brine? If so fill your jars fuller this will help too. If your really concerned with appearance, process colors separatly and add a few drops food coloring to each jar before adding lids. here is a jar of wax peppers with jalapeno. Added a pinch of tumeric to jar before capping. Without it...yellow peppers will turn white when processed. Have fun, Good luck

Attachments

• 20140809_084838.jpg
    20140809_084838.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20140809_084938.jpg
    20140809_084938.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 49
"I would guess that you are not packing enough peppers in your jars before processing" - Bingo. Even when packing them in there, a few days later, I'm left with a full third jar of brine. I'll take it from there. Thanks!

Back