• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Herpiili's Growlog 2014 [Finland, Europe]

Hi and greetings from Finland!

We are currently heading towards end of the growing season here in Finland, so my growlog won't be as complete as most of you others ;)

I've been growing peppers since 2003 and this year was supposed to be a "Season off growing peppers", but my good friends at a local nursery told me that was quite a bad idea, so I have some plants growing at that nursery greenhouse :D

Here's the local nursery (Taimimoisio) url. We accidentally bumbed into each other as I gave an interview on a local magazine some years ago, they were growing some peppers and they asked one of the nursery interns if he knew any "pepper experts". That intern recalled that I was interviewed recently on a local paper by his sister (who was the editor of that local paper at that time) and I was contacted by the nursery owner by e-mail. We arranged a theme day few months later and have kept contact quite often since that and for some reason, I also started studying gardening 2 years ago and graduated as a gardener 2 months ago :D

Owners of that nursery have transformed into total chileheads in just a few years and this spring they grew around 70 different varieties of peppers (including wild ones like Capsicum flexuosum, Capsicum lanceolatum and Capsicum praetermissums) for local customers.

One of the main projects of this season is currently MoA Scotch Bonnets, as they have their own "room" inside the greenhouse. That room was used earlier for propagating cuttings and it's almost insect proof so there's quite a low risk of cross-pollination. We are also experimenting with wild varieties and they are really interesting!

Here's some pictures from my picasa folder so far, I'm sorry that some of the pics in my Picasa folder don't have any explanations - they'll come later hopefully. I'll try to post updates until the end of the current season :)

DSC_4279.jpg

Chili pepper day at the nursery - 14.6.2014

DSC_4282.jpg

DSC_4290.jpg

DSC_4319.jpg

Chili pepper day at the nursery with some fresh pods grown at Heinä's Garden - 14.6.2014 

DSC_4324.jpg

Chili pepper day at the nursery - Some slices for testing before the buy ;)

DSC_4327.jpg

Chili pepper day at the nursery - Homemade Salsa for the customers.

DSC_4387.jpg

Chili pepper day at the nursery - Rocoto and Jalapeno Gaucho sausage's made by Heinä's garden.

DSC_4400.jpg

Chili pepper day - Fudge made by small Finnish company - Sate-herkkutuote. Notice that Capsicum praetermissum fudge :D

DSC_4419.jpg

Chili pepper day - Ice cream made by one small Finnish farm - spiced with peppers!

DSC_4260.jpg

Chocolate cakes for the Chili pepper day.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j3mm32C0G1E/U5yXqC_syhI/AAAAAAAAFI0/pqitzkIi9yc/s800/DSC_4311.jpg
The Finnish Chili Pepper Association's stand at Chili pepper day.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-EV0p0En6Yaw/U5HUN4ytkKI/AAAAAAAAFCo/OS87M3WISRE/s800/er.jpg
MoA Scotch Bonnet section of the greenhouse 06.06.2014.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7Y4OzZo-_HI/U9DO5g63fqI/AAAAAAAAFj0/VD4Ne9DAvzk/s800/DSC_6106.jpg
Aji Amarillo needed some care and caring needed ladders :D - 23.07.2014.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-PNIe0gJWE-o/U-BZBsxBEZI/AAAAAAAAFlw/YwGE0XiVJRQ/s800/ul_uxl.jpg
Ulupica Large (Capsicum cardenasii var. pendulum) vs. "Ulupica Extra Large" F1-hybrid [Ulupica Large x Orange Rocoto]. Size difference of 10x!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-YyJPYRGeVsM/U6swXv9RshI/AAAAAAAAFPs/gaoJSQW9zoo/s800/gala.jpg
Capsicum galapagoense and 2 Fish peppers inside the greenhouse - 25.6.2014.

Pasting around 160 (?) pictures of the current season so far sounds like a bad idea, so here's a link to my picasa album: https://picasaweb.google.com/111960391787927669480/Capsicum2014Taimimoisio

Hopefully you'll enjoy my glog and sorry for my poor english skills :)

- Riku

Awesome and a big welcome !! Hope you stick around and share your knowledge with us all. Looks like a great day at the nursery .. great stuff!!

Welcome aboard and good start to a Glog!  Where did the MoA Scotch Bonnet seeds come from if you remember?

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Here's most of the varieties growing this season, still missing some wild plants though :)

CAP 1144 (Capsicum praetermissum)
Thai Moisio (Capsicum annuum)
Rocoto Costa Rican Red (Capsicum pubescens)
Jalapeno Gaucho (Capsicum annuum)
Aji Cristal x ? (Capsicum baccatum x ?)
Rocoto Peru Bitdumi (Capsicum pubescens)
Lemon Drop (Capsicum baccatum)
Naga Morich (Capsicum chinense)
PI 593618 (Capsicum pubescens)
Pube Moisio (Capsicum pubescens)
Starfish x Hot Tree Pepper F3 (Capsicum baccatum x baccatum)
Aji Cristal (Capsicum baccatum)
Orange Rocoto (Capsicum pubescens)
Turbo Pube (Capsicum pubescens)
Aji Benito (Capsicum baccatum)
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet MoA (Capsicum chinense)
Sweet Russian (Capsicum annuum)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow (Capsicum chinense)
Ulupica Extra Large F1 - Ulupica Large (Capsicum cardenasii var. pendulum) x Orange Rocoto (Capsicum pubescens)
Aji Amarillo (Capsicum baccatum)
Habanero Orange (Capsicum chinense)
Habanero Harold St Barts (Capsicum chinense)
Lemon Drop x Pi 441551 F5 (Capsicum baccatum x baccatum)
Biquinho (Capsicum chinense)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend (Capsicum chinense)
Numex Suave Red (Capsicum chinense)
Lemon Drop x Pi 441551 F4 (Capsicum baccatum x baccatum)
Grekisk Paprika (Capsicum annuum)
Chi-Chien (Capsicum annuum)
Ulupica Large (Capsicum cardenasii var. pendulum)
Pimenta Barro do Ribeiro (Capsicum baccatum)
Rocoto (Stolker Plants) (Capsicum pubescens)
Amachito Rosso (Capsicum annuum)
Cows Horn (Capsicum annuum)
Fishpepper (Capsicum annuum)
Poblano (Capsicum annuum)
Aji Cito (Capsicum baccatum)
Starfish (Capsicum baccatum)
Condors Beak (Capsicum chinense)
Pimenta da Neyde (Capsicum chinense)
Bonda Ma Jacques (Capsicum chinense)
Serrano (Capsicum annuum)
Capsicum flexuosum
Capsicum galapagoense

Picture update:

DSC_6389.jpg

CAP 1144 (C. praetermissum) near the greenhouse entrance.

DSC_6390.jpg

CAP 1144 is quite large :D

DSC_6391.jpg

CAP 1144 pod clusters.

DSC_6394.jpg

Capsicum galapagoense cuttings after two months of growth - propagated with ultrasonic foggers.

DSC_6395.jpg

Capsicum galapagoense cuttings are producing pods.

DSC_6398.jpg

DSC_6397.jpg

It's getting a bit crowded...

DSC_6399.jpg

Starfish x Hot Tree Pepper F3

DSC_6409.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow - one of our favorites, nice heat and wonderful, fruity flavor.

DSC_6415.jpg

Scotch Bonnet MoA room.

I  gave some pods to a friend's friend for sampling yesterday, "surprisingly" my friend didn't remember the names today, so I got some mobile phone pics for identification in return :D

01.jpg

Lemon Drop x PI-441551 F6 (C. baccatum), Harold St. Bart's (C. chinense), Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow (C. chinense), Lemon Drop x PI-441551 F6 (C. baccatum), Harold St. Bart's (C. chinense), Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow (C. chinense), Lemon Drop x PI-441551 F5 (C. baccatum)

02.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate (C. chinense), Pimenta de Neyde (C. chinense), Turbo Pube (C. pubescens), Orange Rocoto (C. pubescens), MoA Scotch Bonnet (C. chinense), Lemon Drop (C. baccatum), Aji Cito (C. baccatum), Cajamarca Hybrid (C. chinense), Habanero Orange (C. chinense)

03.jpg

Rocoto Costa Rican Red (C. pubescens), Starfish x Hot Tree Pepper F4 (C. baccatum), Aji Cristal (C. baccatum), PI-593618 (C. pubescens), Aji Benito (C. baccatum), Naga Morich (C. chinense), Large Red Cherry (C. annuum), Ulupica Large (C. cardenasii var. pendulum), Naga Morich (C. chinense), Goat's Weed (C. annuum), Serrano (C. annuum), Pimenta Barro de Ribeiro (C. baccatum), Biquinho (C. chinense)

tmby.jpg

Newest batch of trial and error-style hot sauce - Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow-sauce.

200g Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow pods 
1kg mango
0.25l lime juice
50ml rum 
0,5l water
2dl jam sugar

Consistency of the sauce came out great, not too runny and a bit on the thicker side. Taste is very fruity and should go well even as a dessert sauce, way better than those asian sweet chili sauces ;)

Heatwise this is quite hot but not anywhere near superhot, burn starts slowly and lasts for a good amount of time.

I just cutted the Moruga Yellow pods and Mango in smaller slices, put those in blender and added lime juice. Then i cooked it for 15 minutes, strained the sauce through sieve and boiled it for a bit more adding other ingredients, jam sugar at the end. Then I just filled the sauce into hot glass jars (heated in oven at 100c) and added lids from boiling water.

Nice photos. Looks like you have plenty of greenhouse space ... are the greenhouses climate controlled? I imagine the natural growing season wouldn't be that long?

Back