• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

"Most" Raw Chinenses: Yuck! A Correction...

In some one else's thread, a member said he hated the taste of bhuts. Too floral. Other members recommended other chinenses, like Yellow 7-Pots, and Fatalis, as having a better flavor. One member stated that he hated the taste of all chinenses straight off the plant, which was why he processes them into powders...That's the camp I'm in. With the very recent exception of the Isabella Island Hab, I've never tasted a chinense off the plant that tasted anywhere near what I would consider "good" or "tasty". So, cooked in pepper sauces, pickled, and added to cheese, are how I truly enjoy them.

So, how many of you really like the chinense flavor, unadulterated by cooking/processing?

Do any of you actually prefer the flavor of a raw chinense?

EDIT: Today, I discovered a chinense that I really liked straight off the plant: Trinidad Perfume (Thanks, Judy) It would be almost a shame to cook this pepper, I think. Chopped into a salad with bleu cheese dressing is how I imagine using this tasty pepper. I also sampled another Isabella Island Hab for the second time, and still think it has super flavor. I also tried a sliver of a yellow 7-Pot...blech. Sorry.

I'm fairly new to this and have only tried a really limited amount of chiles, but I had a quarter of a red brain and thought it tasted great. Painful, but great.

I agree with you
The Chinense are so floral and hot, sometimes I find them bitter and nasty
Some are really good raw which are not hot at all, such as Trinidad Perfume and Tobago seasoning.
I don't even like Chinense in cooking, too strong and overwhelming Mainly 7 Pots.
In my opinion, for fresh eating, nothing is better than Baccatums, then annums, then frutescens, then Rocotos  

PepperLover said:
I agree with you
The Chinense are so floral and hot, sometimes I find them bitter and nasty
Some are really good raw which are not hot at all, such as Trinidad Perfume and Tobago seasoning.
I don't even like Chinense in cooking, too strong and overwhelming Mainly 7 Pots.
In my opinion, for fresh eating, nothing is better than Baccatums, then annums, then frutescens, then Rocotos
I hope you're right about the Trinidad Perfume. I have one podding up. How would you use it, raw?

i like chinences as sauces aNd cooked with the exception of Wild Brazil im not fond of most pepper raw with the exception of a few Aji"s like AJI YELLOW,AJI PINEAPPLE,AJI OMNI COLOR and sometimes Aji colorado and a few others like season peppers

but as a general rule im not fond of habs fresh of the vine but do love Habanero flavor very much

oh and the GALAPAGOS ISABELLA RED is a very good hab im growing it next year again ;)

thanks your friend Joe

I haven't been fond of the Chinenses I've tasted so far, with the exception of pepperlover's White Naga. The burst of flavors was amazing and none of them I would call floral. Then the heat kicked in and I forgot all about the flavors. lol

mecdave said:
I haven't been fond of the Chinenses I've tasted so far, with the exception of pepperlover's White Naga. The burst of flavors was amazing and none of them I would call floral. Then the heat kicked in and I forgot all about the flavors. lol
That's part of my problem, right there. Even if the flavor was great, the super heat that follows would probably prevent me from going back for seconds.

I know that some manly men, like Nigel, like plucking them from their plants and eating them on the spot. But, I have to think that that is a rarity.

PepperLover said:
+1000

There is so much more beyond superhots!
Chinense flavor is a classic discussion down here because all the italian heirlooms are annuums and many people is used to that flavor profile.
I'm not a fan of the generic chinense flavor and i'm trying to find a good cross that retains only the brutal heat of chinenses with a different flavor profile.
Also mixing varieties work nice for me in balancing some powders for both heat and taste.

Cya

Datil

I'm not absolutely crazy about the Chinense flavor as well.  There is an exception with MoA Scotch Bonnets and Bahamian Goats and most red Habs.  To me they taste great with really nice heat to follow.  Most superhots I grow get smoked then powdered.   My favorite would have to be Annuums and Pubescens for actual flavor.

I really like the flavor of a lot of Chineses on one condition; that they are fully ripe on the plant to the point of being slightly soft, before eating. I have noticed a night and day difference between the two. If they are pulled too soon, then they don't express their true flavor imho, and as a result many become bitter.

Hey Mega...is the BB7 a billy boy?...if so, you don't by any chance have any red BB7's do you?

megahot said:
Ive had some that taste rather good ie. BB7 and Yellow 7. Also some that are nasty ie. Douglah x Butch T. It all depends on taste buds the grower and the seed stock.

I like the flavor of them raw, though I don't normally eat them that way.  I like making fermented hot sauce from them, and the leftover pulp I turn to powder.

AlabamaJack said:
Hey Mega...is the BB7 a billy boy?...if so, you don't by any chance have any red BB7's do you?
BB7 as in Bubblegum 7 pot.
I might have some Billy Boy Douglah red seeds. Ill have to check.
AlabamaJack said:
BB7 as in Bubblegum 7 pot.
I might have some Billy Boy Douglah red seeds. Ill have to check.

Back