• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What is a "red hot chili pepper"

To an average person, they are called "red hot chili peppers". And no I'm not talking about the band. When you're in the grocery store, those red chilis are just generically referred to as "a red chili".

Are they red jalapeños? What are they

1ba6f013b03d3119f460bad3db0fbe5d.jpg

Those look to be fresno's.

Lipstick's also look similar but a skosh smaller with a more rounded tip and zippo for heat.

I can't remember the last time my local Try-N-Save had red 'peno's.

texas blues said:
Those look to be fresno's.

Lipstick's also look similar but a skosh smaller with a more rounded tip and zippo for heat.

I can't remember the last time my local Try-N-Save had red 'peno's.
Red Jal's are damn gold now....I see them 1 out of 3 trips to a local farmers market I go to. They also cost more than normal green

Alas, for now I can only dream of red jalapeno's that have gone all corky n' sheeit.

I dig 'em mainly because they are less vegetal tasting than green 'peno's.

Not that vegetal is necessarily a bad 'thang but the red's just have a more refined flavor to me.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Red Jal's are damn gold now....I see them 1 out of 3 trips to a local farmers market I go to. They also cost more than normal green
And when I see them in the grocery stores the greens are .99lb while the reds are 3.99-4.99lb. 

texas blues said:
Alas, for now I can only dream of red jalapeno's that have gone all corky n' sheeit.

I dig 'em mainly because they are less vegetal tasting than green 'peno's.

Not that vegetal is necessarily a bad 'thang but the red's just have a more refined flavor to me.
Biker Billy:

DSC_0416.JPG

obeychase said:
To an average person, they are called "red hot chili peppers". And no I'm not talking about the band. When you're in the grocery store, those red chilis are just generically referred to as "a red chili".

Are they red jalapeños? What are they

1ba6f013b03d3119f460bad3db0fbe5d.jpg
Depending on what store you go to or who they get their produce from that week, I've what looked like Jalapeno's one week, Serrano's another, and sometimes even Fresno's all in the same bin labeled "Red Hot Peppers". It's like they don't care abouit variety, only that they're red.

Im new to thp scene,but i these all the time in grocers here in socal. Those definitely look like fresnos and the de agua chile from mexico looks really similar.

Thats incredible!!!not too many people have actually eaten let alone seen a red jalapeno.they go their grocers and just buy the green form i guess its just that accustomed or conditioned to buy the green form.

Back