• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

My parrot snacks on 7 Pots like they're candy (video)

So my package with seeds and some dried pods from ikeepfish arrived, and my parrot, Taco, devoured some 7 Pot Primo.

To anyone who thinks this is animal cruelty, he is a bird. Birds are pepper's best friends. Birds cannot detect capsaicin, therefore it is not hot to them. Look at him devouring it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDvhzZ_go-E&list=UUFC9EHH9SMGI5CwGyGp9dWQ

Pepper Ridge Farm said:

That there is some funny shit! If the bird doesn't feel it going down will it hurt him going out? I have never owned a bird so I wouldn't know but I'd suspect his shit is hot.

well, the older I get, the more my mind wanders in search of answers to questions nobody really gives a shit (pun intended) about....  :)

AlabamaJack said:
I wonder if you get the bird shit on your hands or somewhere else will the capsaicin still be there or does the bird metabolize it..

Hm. Well, the last time I gave my conure Thai chilis his poop was red*, and I had to be careful of where his beak touched me because he was leaving capsaicin everywhere. I didn't try to touch/eat his poop though. :)

*Bird poop's color is affected, in part, by their diet.

Way back when I was just a wee-one, my mom had a crap-ton of birds.  One of them would snack on hot peppers and then go give everyone kisses, passing along a little bit of hot lovin'.  I hated that bird.

The whole "birds can't detect capsaicin" bit reminds me of this article/infographic thing I saw on Cracked some time ago.  A little outdated, but mildly amusing.

Back