• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chris Joyner`s Mystery Wine Pepper

Many thanks to Chris Joyner for this stunning pepper! See more of what Chris has to offer at his web site,

http://www.heatmadesimple.com

It`s often difficult to assess new peppers with no name, or no information on their background, but in this case I`m very glad I tried!

The colour of the pod is sublime - dark burgundy, like the wine. 

The initial aromas were dominated by very fruity tones, with a little tomato and some aromatics similar to tomato leaves. A touch of sweetness rounded out the aroma beautifully.

The flavors were very fruity in an indistinct way, with really nice sweetness, followed by some good acidity that really balanced out the flavour. The finish was a very fresh, grassy-like flavor which just added even more deliciousness.

The aftertaste, as the heat faded, had a very dilute Bhut or Naga-like quality, which was really lovely. That faded into a very slight Tomato-like flavor right at the end. 

The heat was upfront and initially around Ornage Habanero levels, but it soon ramped up to be much hotter than that, peaking around the same sort of levels as Red Trinidad Congo peppers. Excellent heat, but not in the superhot category. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIOKToWA45I&feature=youtu.be

Really nice color on that pod. Love the discription of flavors on it as well. Do you think Chris will be offering seeds on this one or will we have to wait until he grows it out more? Another one for next years list if its available.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I plan to offer free seeds to about 10 people that order powders later in the year. I'll post on here when that will occur.
I'm fascinated by the color of this pepper, and Nigel's review of it makes my mouth water... is there any chance that you will be selling seeds of this strain anytime in the foreseeable future ?

mikeg said:
I'm fascinated by the color of this pepper, and Nigel's review of it makes my mouth water... is there any chance that you will be selling seeds of this strain anytime in the foreseeable future ?

Thanks! I do not sell seeds and usually just give them away with orders or through other means. If you were in the States I could pass some along.
rghm1u20 said:
+1 ^
And I wonder also who could have some Mystery Citrus seeds available (also a picture).
 If you were in the States I could pass some along.

JoynersHotPeppers said:

Thanks! I do not sell seeds and usually just give them away with orders or through other means. If you were in the States I could pass some along.
 If you were in the States I could pass some along.
Thank you! I can PM you an US address, somebody who will send me other seeds too.

Bumper said:
Have any of these chillies made it to oz yet Chris?  It might be about time to put another powder order in....   
A top-5 pepper flavor for me ...

If you order and don't have Smokin Banshee, his Reaper, the Smoked Thai, the Lemon Drop, the Smoked Goat, or the Caribbean Chocolate - those are essential.

The Chocolate Lava or whatever is devil spawn ... makes me cry Chocolate Lava later, every time.

:cheers:

I tried his lemon drop. smoked banshee, goat and reaper, along with the mixed thai - all awesome.  

grantmichaels said:
A top-5 pepper flavor for me ...

If you order and don't have Smokin Banshee, his Reaper, the Smoked Thai, the Lemon Drop, the Smoked Goat, or the Caribbean Chocolate - those are essential.

The Chocolate Lava or whatever is devil spawn ... makes me cry Chocolate Lava later, every time.

:cheers:

Back