• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Article says STOP refrigerating hot sauce you're ruining it!

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
http://refrigerators.reviewed.com/features/seriously-stop-refrigerating-these-foods?utm_source=TB_paid&utm_medium=cpc

"Definitely Don't Refrigerate...
There are some foods that are actively made worse by refrigeration. These are the items you should absolutely keep away from cold.

Hot Sauce
Cold weakens the flavor and changes the viscosity of the sauce, affecting the pour."

YES!

Ever have cold ketchup on fries or a burger? It ruins them. Not just the temp, the flavor. Room temp ketchup opens up like a whiskey vs. cold whiskey. No muted flavors. Same goes for hot sauce!

I knew someone that said when they first got a hot sauce it was fresh and vibrant and the taste seemed to fade after it was opened. I asked if it was in the fridge. YUP! They took it out and tried it the next day. BLAM! Flavor was back. It opens up like a whiskey. You can pick up all the notes.

Wow, I had no idea. Ketchup, hot sauce, tomatoes, onions, garlic... I refrigerate them all... guess I better stop doing that!

I agree! I got so use to cold ketchup I forgot how good it could taste. Unfortunately its like arguing with a wall trying to get the family to keep it out "Restaurants leave them out all day."
"Then put them in the fridge at night!"

So now I just use a small dipping cup and a water bath to heat it up.. Fortunately I'm the only one who uses hot sauce so I can leave that out. Though I put most in the fridge, and whichever couple I have been using lately I leave out.

Can you leave it in fridge then let it get to room temp before using to maximize the taste?  Or would the constant temp swings just ruin it?

Yes you can. 

If you're having Mexican take your taco sauces out as early as you can, etc. I have some on shelves some in the fridge due to having a lot.

Keep your everyday sauces out for those spur of the moment meals.

No, the temp does not kill it forever. It opens back up at room temp. :)

I used to leave a sizeable collection at RT. I eventually found that only vinegar sauces with super low pH would be stable at RT, to my tastes.

Fruit sauces and savory sauces can go moldy and/or rancid in a few months if left at RT once opened.

If you want to keep these less acidic sauces at RT, use them quickly!

I now keep most sauces in the fridge and warm them before use.

I work with Mexican Laborers and they keep Hot sauce out on the Lunch room table, like ketchup.   They also eat that sheeit so fast it doesnt have time to spoil.

The same can be said, loosely, about good beer. The flavor blooms when taken out of the typical American refrigerator, and poured into a glass, and allowed to warm a bit. Now, if you're of the Bud/Miller/Coors army, you want it as close to freezing as possible, so as not to taste it at all. Nuff said.

Unfortunately room temperature[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]at my place this time of year is 90 degrees. Will have to give this a try more near Fall. 

Roguejim said:
The same can be said, loosely, about good beer. The flavor blooms when taken out of the typical American refrigerator, and poured into a glass, and allowed to warm a bit. Now, if you're of the Bud/Miller/Coors army, you want it as close to freezing as possible, so as not to taste it at all. Nuff said.

And the same can also be said about good cheese.  Cheese straight from the refrigerator has a way less flavor than if you let sit out for an hour to come to room temperature before you eat it.  Which is why I think America loves Velveeta.  It tastes as bland and tasteless, much like a mild (real) cheese straight from the refrigerator.  Why is it that historically we American's take wonderful things like bread, beer, and cheese and create horrible things like Wonder Bread, Coors, and Velveeta?  Its like we're going to war against flavor.

Agreed on the examples. The same could be said about many things. Like cold pickle chips from the jar on your burger. Let then come to room temp, or warm them even. You get that restaurant burger taste.

Eat a strawberry from the farmers market. Delicious.
Eat one from the fridge. Not as flavorful.
Eat one from the freezer. Barely recognizable as a strawberry.

Flavors just get muted as the temp drops.

Plus. Why put cold sauce on a hot meal??

Back