• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

getting the heat you ask for when dining out

I'm sure we have all had this problem. You go to a restaurant and order something and the waiter/waitress asks what heat level you would like. This is the tricky part for hotheads. Nine times out of ten, the food comes to you and is mild or not even spicy. I'm comfortable with scorpion peppers at this point and trying to illustrate how hot I want a dish when I go out is very difficult. I don't know if they think I can't handle a high heat level or what but I'm usually disappointed in the heat on my plate. A lot of the time I just carry around my own hot sauce because nowhere I go is hot enough. I live in Seattle so tips for restaurants that 'get it' are appreciated too. Is there a magic phrase that seems to work for you?

If you're looking for superhot-level heat at restaurants that aren't advertising itself as being known for super spicy foods, then I think you're asking for too much. The vast majority of people do not want that level of heat even if they ask for their food to be spicy. Just keep taking your own hot sauce with you if that's the level you're looking for. Most restaurants I have been to suck at making food even marginally spicy.

Happens all the time. I went to a bar in Destin. Ordered a bloody Mary. I told the barmaid I wanted it spicy. Then I watched her mix vodka and Zing Zang. No seasoning on the rim. Not splash of hot sauce.... nothing. Vodka, and Zing Zang (my least favorite mix). Period. Did you not hear me say spicy???? No, the bean does not count!

Verivus said:
If you're looking for superhot-level heat at restaurants that aren't advertising itself as being known for super spicy foods, then I think you're asking for too much. The vast majority of people do not want that level of heat even if they ask for their food to be spicy. Just keep taking your own hot sauce with you if that's the level you're looking for. Most restaurants I have been to suck at making food even marginally spicy.

Understandable. Unless it's a Thai place, that advertises spicey as all hell (known as "Thai Hot"), but serves you the Asian version of ketchup & KD.

I'll firebomb the next place that tries to get me to swallow that lie.

sporehead said:
I'm sure we have all had this problem. You go to a restaurant and order something and the waiter/waitress asks what heat level you would like. This is the tricky part for hotheads. Nine times out of ten, the food comes to you and is mild or not even spicy. I'm comfortable with scorpion peppers at this point and trying to illustrate how hot I want a dish when I go out is very difficult. I don't know if they think I can't handle a high heat level or what but I'm usually disappointed in the heat on my plate. A lot of the time I just carry around my own hot sauce because nowhere I go is hot enough. I live in Seattle so tips for restaurants that 'get it' are appreciated too. Is there a magic phrase that seems to work for you?
REALLY GOOD QUESTION!

When ordering Thai you need to say "Thai hot" or "super Thai hot", at a regular restuarant tell them you are Cajin and need it as hot as possible. In an asian restuarant tell them that you have have been to their country and want it as hot as you had it there.

I also have a picture of a scorpion pepper as a screensaver on my phone and show them that.

I also carry powder if needed.

GOOD LUCK

miguelovic said:

Understandable. Unless it's a Thai place, that advertises spicey as all hell (known as "Thai Hot"), but serves you the Asian version of ketchup & KD.

I'll firebomb the next place that tries to get me to swallow that lie.

I agree. If they're specifically advertising something to be a specific heat level then it better be! But every Thai place (in the US) I've been to except for 2 (and I've been to quite a few because I love Thai food) have been unable to offer me the heat level I was asking for. My current place is great, but I don't think someone who thinks superhots are comfortable to eat would like the heat level there either.

Thanks for all the replys! I know most places aren't made for hotheads but I was inferring going to a place that asks what heat level you want. Usually it's 1-5. I've said 15, 20, 25 stars, asked them to make it like they do at home or in their native country, told them to make me extremely uncomfortable with excessive heat (much hotter than the heat levels they usually get orders for), and my favorite, I want them to question the morality of serving something so spicy to a person, triple it and bring it to me. NOTHING EVER WORKS. Indian and Thai have been more open to this, but it's still not enough. I don't like bringing my own sauce or powder because if I'm going out, I want to have a great meal without altering it. But, I have to...

Rymerpt: Thanks for those suggestions, I'll try that. I like the picture idea. Superhots certainly looks like they are, I can see how it could translate. I just wish there was some magic phrase that everyone understood.

BYO Pure Evil-
tell the server you want 5/5 stars and have the chef add 5-10 drops Pure Evil to your dish.  Flavor stays the same, doesn't get overpowered with Sambal or whatever.

:cool:  works every time.  :cool:   I've had the chef come out to the table to return the bottle, breathing fire because he tasted my dish.  :rofl:

PS- Sporehead, you coming to the NW Chilefest in Sept?

I still haven't tried Pure Evil. That's bottled hellfire! I'm flat broke right now so I will pick up a bottle whenever money is more consistent. :/ Addicted.

NW Chilefest eh? I just heard about it but I will definitely be there. I just need more info if you can offer it. I'm not finding anything on google.

I just linked it in the post above.  It's a bunch of us THP chileheads camping out at the Kanasket-Palmer state park for a couple days.  Saturday PotLuck where a lot of day-trippers join us for food, hot stuff and a bit of shenanigans.  We're going to have a Pure Evil ramen noodle eating challenge and the winner will get a bottle of Pure Evil, a big superhot chile plant of some variety and some other stuff.  Could be your chance to snag some!  :LOL:

:cool:

sporehead said:

I am in Seattle also and have the same problem.  I haven't found a restaurant in the area that "gets it" when it comes to the heat level I like.  Down in Lakewood off of Bridgeport there is a Thai place called Long Beach Cafe.  They seem pretty accommodating when it comes to heat levels, although you need to specify you want it HOT.  A few of the more chain-type places around us wont really satisfy, you need to go to one of local mom-and-pop shops.

+1! on BYO. Drops, powder, 1.7 oz woozies, whatever. Sometimes a random place will surprise me with a decent level of spiciness but that's rare.

I worked at Trader Joe's in the 90s. Several of us used to lobby the buyers to make the prepared foods more spicy. The problem is 99% of the general public can't take anything more than a dusting of cayenne. Whenever we did get a fairly spicy product, it was often discontinued because it didn't sell enough. So the retail/restaurant mantra is - you can always add spice, but can't take it out once added. To their credit, TJs has started carrying more spicy powders and hot sauces in recent years.

Powder, not sauce.

Sauce alters the flavor too much. If you order vindaloo and it needs a kick, you don't need to be adding carrots, or pears, or salt and vinegar.

That being said, I do not do this. I also expect it to be spicy when I ask. And if it's not I just deal with it. I don't have time to fuss with it, unless it was take-out of course. At home... spice it up!

Took some moruga powder to a local Thai joint yesterday
I love Pork Jungle Curry
I slipped about a gram or so powder in my pocket and sent it back with my order(funny looks from waiter)
Chef brought out my dish and clearly he had been smoked LOL!!

Long story short,I directed him to Judy for fresh pods he could dry and powder there.
Smartass heat seekers are in for a surprise when they come in looking for "Thai Hot" from here on.

Back