• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Why do Jalapeños have lines/cracks?

ripe-jalapeno.jpg

Why do Jalapeños get like this?

Differing Viewpoints
U.S. consumers tend to like their peppers striation-free. This seems rooted in a national desire for blemish-free fruits and the misconceptions about those white lines. In some non-U.S. markets, most notably Mexico, corkiness is viewed as a desirable pepper trait. Growers and shoppers realize corking identifies popular varieties used for culinary dishes. An erroneous belief that corking indicates chile pepper heat has arisen in U.S. gardening and cooking circles. Some shoppers seek out heavily corked jalapenos, for example, thinking they'll be hotter.

Then people have the nerve to complain about average Mexican food quality
If your Jap strain doesn't cork consistently then you need to find a better strain to grow IMPO.
The native strain in my region is ugly as sin,seldom red but well above reproach in flavor and strong level heat that's WFO from first bite.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/causes-white-lines-red-pepper-skins-94011.html

obeychase said:
I heard that this was due to the pod receiving too much water

Forgot to mention this - any variety can split its skin from excessive water uptake, including those that don't cork. When the skin splits from excessive water, over time the pod forms something similar to what would be a scab on you or me if we scraped our skin up - it's not terribly attractive, but it does effectively seal the pod back up again. Definitely not the same thing as corking.

geeme said:
Forgot to mention this - any variety can split its skin from excessive water uptake, including those that don't cork. When the skin splits from excessive water, over time the pod forms something similar to what would be a scab on you or me if we scraped our skin up - it's not terribly attractive, but it does effectively seal the pod back up again. Definitely not the same thing as corking.
Tomatoes do the similar thing I believe....
And my penos are not doing this...must be a strain to strain thing like Judy mentioned...

Back