• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Raichlen's, "Hell's Fury" Hot Sauce...14-Day Update!

This recipe is from Raichlen's, Barbecue! Bible.  The only deviation from Raichlen's recipe was adding 1/4 C. water to the pot to allow for evaporation, and, I left out the 3 TBLS oil which was simply added to the pot.  The sauce I made today is still young, but the flavors are pretty complex already, sweet/fruity/tangy with tolerable heat.

THE PLAYERS:

1 C. diced mango
2-6 Scotch Bonnets, deseeded (I opted for 5)
1/2 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 C. fresh orange juice
1/4 C. Dijon mustard
1/4 C. distilled white vinegar
3 TBLS cilantro, chopped
2 TBLS light brown sugar
1 TBLS lime juice
2 TSP coarse kosher salt
1/2 TSP black pepper

Process was quick and simple.  All ingredients get thrown in the pot for a 10 minute simmer/light boil.  Sauce was blended with a hand held blender at the 5 minute mark.  Bottle up.  That's it.

In the pot.

Beginning to simmer.

Jarred.

Wow, this recipe looks amazing. Going to have to bookmark this to try it when, if ever, I have the right peppers, lol. Do you think MoA SBs would work? I do have a box of that coming...

Verivus said:
Wow, this recipe looks amazing. Going to have to bookmark this to try it when, if ever, I have the right peppers, lol. Do you think MoA SBs would work? I do have a box of that coming...
Why wouldn't they work?  Is there a better Scotch Bonnet?  That's what I used! :P

Thanks for sharing this, I love your concoctions, tried quite a number of them with great results! I have a bounty of Aji's this season and I'm going to try this with some Aji Pineapples and Aji Fantasies. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful creations and photos!

LUCKYDOG said:
How long will it mellow for? Im watching this thread for taste before I make it.
Raichlen says to give it "a few days". I'll test it after 7, but I suspect it will still be smoother after a couple of weeks. I'll report back this weekend with a 7 day update.

This sauce was cooked 7 days ago.  Today, 7 days later, I finally give it a taste test.

I took it out of the fridge, and put some into a small sauce dish to bring the sauce temp up to room temp.

I took the first taste straight off a spoon, my least favorite way.  No single flavor jumped out, except for the sweet, fruity mango.  My first impression was that it was very well rounded.  I could not detect any cilantro.  The mustard didn't jump out either.  I thought it would be more tart.  It was just very well balanced.  The heat took 10-15 seconds to kick in, and, it was quite tolerable for my tastes.

The next taste came on a piece of boneless chicken thigh grilled over charcoal, with a hickory chunk for smoke flavor.   The thigh was seasoned with Weber's Kickn' Chicken seasoning.

There is nothing negative to say about this sauce.  But, neither was it a knockout for me. It is not complex in spite of the mustard, orange juice, and cilantro.  I wish I could have tried it with a cracker and extra sharp cheddar, which is the way I usually like to have my pepper sauces.

14 days later...I paired the sauce with my Aji Lemondrop/Kalamata Olive Farm Cheese, on a saltine cracker.  This won me over.  The sauce is still very well rounded, the mango and mustard being the main players.  Heat is medium.  The cilantro is still non-existent.  I might double the amount next time, or add it at the tail end.  Never the less, it's a keeper for me when I want an alternative to the vinegar-based pepper sauces I usually make.  I might even try it with fresh peach instead of mango.  Hmm, maybe on a smoked oyster...

Did I mention this combo goes well with home brewed ale?

fiogga said:
Thanks for sharing this, I love your concoctions, tried quite a number of them with great results! I have a bounty of Aji's this season and I'm going to try this with some Aji Pineapples and Aji Fantasies. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful creations and photos!
I just pulled an aji pineapple from a plant and ate half. It would be great for this sauce, plus, I think you could use quite a lot of them, and get that great aji pineapple flavor/heat infused into the sauce. Thanks for the idea.

Back