• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Cucumber Kimchi

I keep getting asked for this recipe and I am finally providing it. 

When my family makes kimchi we usually combine the cabbage and the cucumbers. This recipe has cabbage in it but you can always substitute as you see fit. Also, it's very much based on your tastes. I don't think I've ever used a measuring cup or any type of measurement when making kimchi. Make it hotter or less hot depending on your preferences. :D 

A pound of pickling cucumbers
1 medium Chinese cabbage
3/4 cup of kosher salt
two bulbs of garlic chopped
One bunch of Scallions (green onions)
cup and a half of dried red pepper (or super hots or napalm) 
Teaspoon of ginger (I omit this sometimes)
1 Asian pear (you can substitute this with two teaspoons or so of sugar)
Salt to taste

Cut the cumbers into quarters and wash and cut the cabbage into 2 inch pieces. 

Mix 1/2 cup of salt with enough water to dissolve (6 to 8 cups), place cabbage into a large bowl and cover with water. Let the cabbage soak until the cabbage is wilted (soft). If it's not submerged you'll have to turn the cabbage. This time varies. 

When the cabbage is ready mix the rest of the ingredients (minus the cucumber) together the moisture from the pear should make it like a paste. Another way to do this is to put it into a blender or food processor to make something that is for all intents and purposes a mash. :) You have to taste this when you're adding the salt to this mash. It works out to around two teaspoons but taste it see how the mask tastes, hot enough salty enough? When it tastes good to you then it's good to go! 

Drain and thoroughly rinse the cabbage. I can't stress that this is important or you will end up with some very salty kimchi. You can save it if it is too salty but why spend more time at the end? :) 

When the cabbage is done soak the cucumbers in a 1/3 cup of salt mixed with 4 cups of water for 20 minutes then rinse.

Mix the cucumbers and cabbage with the paste you've made. Make sure EVERYTHING is covered. Then start shoving it into jars. Store in a cool dry place for two days then refrigerate. 

TADA! 

Now, you can add other things to this. Fish oil or micro (the tiny) shrimp is one of the biggies. I do not like the taste of little fermented fishes so i do not add them. 

My mom always pureed the micro shrimp with the pear, garlic, and ginger because my dad hates seeing them in the kimchi, lol, and now I'm the same way. I also like to add Korean radish (similar to daikon) sliced using a mandolin.

EDIT:  Have you ever tried soaking the cucumbers in boiling water w/ salt like Aeri's Kitchen on Youtube does? I saw it the other day and was wondering how it would turn out. I've never done it that way before.

They stare at you Verivus judgy little guys.  :shocked:

jk ;)

I use to love fish when I was a kid. Now the taste of fish is overpowering to me. The Daikon kimchi is a different type for us called Kkakdugi and my mom mixes them sometimes but usually she keeps them separate. 

I've never tried soaking them in boiling water. I think the texture of the cucumber would probably be off for me. 

Koreansoul said:
I've never tried soaking them in boiling water. I think the texture of the cucumber would probably be off for me. 

I was wondering about that too. I might try it on a small batch though just to see since I love them crunchy yet well fermented.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
And the lack of knowing how to cook fish for most. I rarely order it out now cooked :)

That may be the case. I've rarely ever been impressed by cooked fish. On the other hand, I could eat sushi everyday.

Sushi is one thing
Sashimi  is entirly different,I have freinds that like "Sushi" but refuse to eat Sashimi
Why is it rice and other fluff make any difference ?
Raw fish is raw fish No? LMAO!! :rofl:

When I fish saltwater I often(everytime) carve a nice portion off before the hook is removed
Doesnt really matter what species,its all very tasty
Maybe the twitching makes it better I dont know??
Nothing beats pulsating Sashimi for mouth feel and honest flavor

:dance: Life is good.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
And the lack of knowing how to cook fish for most. I rarely order it out now cooked :)

I die a little inside every time I see delicious white fat forced out of salmon or floating around in the "poaching" water.

Poaching in quotation, as it's just a synonym for boiling to most cooks.

I friggin love fish, from salt cod cakes and pollock all the way through to fish sauce and ceviche. Erh meh God, don't even get me started on smoked salmon (not pansy lox, but the West Coast Indian version). With the right substance abuse, I'll even eat some Highliner Fishsticks. Can't wrap my mind around the pickled herring/German/Swedish delicacies, though if I ate enough and had the appropriate beer I'm sure it would work out.

/endfishrant

Koreansoul said:
Funny, that's the same for me. I think it has to do with freshness. 

Sushi's been frozen (sub-zero) that's how they kill the parasites. Technically not fresh. :P

I've eaten sushi all my life, most all has been frozen in sub-zero temps for a certain amount of hours as required to kill parasites. Many fishes you simply cannot eat raw unless this is done.

The Hot Pepper said:
I've eaten sushi all my life, most all has been frozen in sub-zero temps for a certain amount of hours as required to kill parasites. Many fishes you simply cannot eat raw unless this is done.
Well not true, most you SHOULD not eat unless this is done....i.e. Tuna and many other large deep water fish. I have eaten too mush sushi and many times at places watching them slice it off a whole fresh never frozen fish. I have seen live parasites but then again I am not the normal consumer :) 

Ever had frozen Uni? YUM... not.

After the fish has been frozen, alot of the texture is lost.
If you ever have the chance try some fresh sashimi.
Completely different.

I've had mackerel sashimi and it looked like fresh cut bait. I've also frozen fresh caught mackerel, and it looks different defrosted. Whiter... if that's a word.

Florida... bustin' chops.

NY must have some crazy cryogenic tech.

Nice thread-jack, Jefe.

Back