• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

I don't think my serranos are serranos.

U8EIRX8.jpg

Maybe they got crossed with my scorpions? Maybe something completely different and were mislabled?

hahahah I'd say you lucked out. Serranos are boring anyway. Now you have a cool pepper!

But seriously though, I think it's a bhut. Leaves seem to match. That or possibly a Bhut x Douglah hybrid?? It's an odd guess, but I cant help but notice that the one pod seems a bit different for your normal, pure, bhut jolokia.

Where'd you get your seeds from? Usually the opposite of your situation happens to people - people purchase bhut seeds to find out they're serranos.

obeychase said:
hahahah I'd say you lucked out. Serranos are boring anyway. Now you have a cool pepper!

But seriously though, I think it's a bhut. Leaves seem to match. That or possibly a Bhut x Douglah hybrid?? It's an odd guess, but I cant help but notice that the one pod seems a bit different for your normal, pure, bhut jolokia.

Where'd you get your seeds from? Usually the opposite of your situation happens to people - people purchase bhut seeds to find out they're serranos.
Hippie seed company

Well well well, this is the first time that i am aware of that Hippies seeds have not been true to the label. Mistakes can happen but rarely do they with him.

Just so happens that i am going to see Neil this afternoon and as a member of his PR department i will do everything in my power to get this sorted out. If you would PM me your address i will have some new Serrano seeds sent out to you asap (and maybe an extra or two as a way of compensation).  

The possibility that they got crossed with your scorpions and became apparant as the pods grew is non-existent. Characters of any crossed pods are only passed on in the seeds that they carry.

Still, looks like a very nice pepper. Keep us updated as to how it ripens :)

Nova said:
Well well well, this is the first time that i am aware of that Hippies seeds have not been true to the label. Mistakes can happen but rarely do they with him.

Just so happens that i am going to see Neil this afternoon and as a member of his PR department i will do everything in my power to get this sorted out. If you would PM me your address i will have some new Serrano seeds sent out to you asap (and maybe an extra or two as a way of compensation).  

The possibility that they got crossed with your scorpions and became apparant as the pods grew is non-existent. Characters of any crossed pods are only passed on in the seeds that they carry.

Still, looks like a very nice pepper. Keep us updated as to how it ripens :)
Thank you very much for your help, but I don't think I would feel right taking any sort of compensation. This mistake could have been my own (when transferring seeds from soaking to rockwool or rockwool to soil, I was sowing 10 varieties at the time) just as much as someone at the company's. Frankly I am pretty clumsy and I would hate to hurt anyone reputation because of my own clumsiness. 

Well at the least allow me to send you the serrano seeds I picked up this afternoon. They come with half a pod and seed still attached.

I await your pm mate.

:flamethrower:

Back