• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Ate my first reaper last night

Well I took the smallest reaper I got from Juanitos and cut it in half anf my brother and I ate it last night. I did much better than I thought I would do and the most painful part was in my throat for the first few minutes then it went forward into my mouth after. I did fine with my stomach and no problems there. My brother on the other hand went home about 45 minutes after eating it at my house and tried to go to sleep but was experiencing stomach pains and finally he had to throw up. He said that cured him for ever trying to eat a superhot again. Just prior to eating the reaper we cut my first and only ripe superhot ( a Ghost ) in half and each ate that followed shorty after by a small white hab whole. The reaper was eaten about 10 minutes later. So as far as eating superhots go the RedSavina- Ghost level of heat is about the tops as far an enjoyment goes with eating peppers. Anything hotter for us is just pure pain and agony lol. 

Nicely done! Well, for you at least. Your bro had it pretty rough, I would hate to puke a pepper up, the acid combined with the throat re-burn would be awful.

One of my reapers has it's first two pods about halfway to ripe and I'm a bit freaked out about eating more than a sliver. But I'll give it a go.

I don't mind any amount of mouth burn at all but when it hits the throat, well, not so much. I tried a good sized chunk of yellow moruga today and was great with the mouth burn but for the few minutes it scorched my throat I wasn't so pleased.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Hehehe more pain arriving soon ;)
I can't wait lol  
hogleg said:
My thinking is, you just upped your tolerance. Why slow down now?
One thing is for sure you must be in the mood to try and eat one, it will never be one of those everyday occurrences lol.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Making reaper powder is quite interesting....I just noticed I have about 10 to 15 more I need to pluck. 
its time to get to work lol

SavinaRed said:
Well I took the smallest reaper I got from Juanitos and cut it in half anf my brother and I ate it last night. I did much better than I thought I would do and the most painful part was in my throat for the first few minutes then it went forward into my mouth after. I did fine with my stomach and no problems there. My brother on the other hand went home about 45 minutes after eating it at my house and tried to go to sleep but was experiencing stomach pains and finally he had to throw up. He said that cured him for ever trying to eat a superhot again. Just prior to eating the reaper we cut my first and only ripe superhot ( a Ghost ) in half and each ate that followed shorty after by a small white hab whole. The reaper was eaten about 10 minutes later. So as far as eating superhots go the RedSavina- Ghost level of heat is about the tops as far an enjoyment goes with eating peppers. Anything hotter for us is just pure pain and agony lol.
lol good to know my peppers are going to good use.

i had the same reaction as your brother, i could handle the heat in my mouth and it went away after 15 minutes... but the stomach was bad and i had to throw it up (which was great, it lights up your tearducts, sinuses, mouth, throat all again)

juanitos said:
lol good to know my peppers are going to good use.

i had the same reaction as your brother, i could handle the heat in my mouth and it went away after 15 minutes... but the stomach was bad and i had to throw it up (which was great, it lights up your tearducts, sinuses, mouth, throat all again)
haha I remember when I over did some really hot sauce I made with some super hots. I thought I was macho man and did 6 shots in about a minute. Well about 3 minutes later I met up with the porcelain god and paid homage to it on my hands and knees for a couple of minutes. It was way worse coming up than it was going down. It cure me of ever doing something like that ever again. 

Welcome to the club!
1 and 1/2 my first time.

Small slices on crackers with various spreads and accoutriments.

The rush from the first one likely caused me to split another in half and share.

The second burn is brutal with these.

Reactions: SL3
I just got 6 boxes of Reapers in from Judy.... ate 1/2 one then went out to mow the lawn while the burn was still fresh... actually got light headed... OWWWW!!! LOL

UPDATE - ate the second half... found out that a combination Werther's chewable caramel followed up with a Werther's hard caramel is the best thing I've found so far to cut heat ASAP!!! Still have the shakes, but for the most part the burn is gone.... whew!

I made a pint of reaper puree today using Alabama Jack's recipe.  I didn't count but there were about 30-35 pods in the mix.

Taste tested about 1/8 teaspoon.   It was really very bitter.    Worse than the scorpion batch I made last year.

The burn was very slow, creeping up and up but manageable due to the small dose.

It will go a long way warming up my cooking all winter.

Now to make some powder.

MisterBigglesworth said:
I made a pint of reaper puree today using Alabama Jack's recipe.  I didn't count but there were about 30-35 pods in the mix.

Taste tested about 1/8 teaspoon.   It was really very bitter.    Worse than the scorpion batch I made last year.

The burn was very slow, creeping up and up but manageable due to the small dose.

Now to make some powder.
I think you will find the powder superior over the puree. 

MisterBigglesworth said:

Now to make some powder.
Can you post or send me a link to this reaper puree you speak of?

I need to get creative over here...!!

swellcat said:
What is the low end for Reaper heat?  Could an individual pod dip to say, a a high-end Fatalii/Scotch Bonnet range?
Likely not quite that low.
Bhut level for sure on the low end.

I am sure (relatively sure, not tested by a lab) I have had a number of them come out in the million shu range.

Back