• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hot boiled peanuts

I love spicey boiled peanuts ever since trying them in Fla. I found a good recipe and have made 3 batches all very good. The trouble NOT HOT ENOUGH. Thinking Scotch Bonnets. These will be substituted for either the pepper flakes or Jalapenos in the recipe. Ideas on which to sub? I have powder now, no fresh or dried (future). Thanks Craig

I love boiled peanuts too!!! 
Here's a trick I learned from a roadside stand in rural north florida, I do it this way ever since. 

In each boil, throw in dill pickles (buy whole ones, cut them in half). For a standard kitchen pot, maybe 3 whole pickles or more, for taste. 
Also, add a handful of dried chilis. 
Then let the magic happen. (Use however much salt and water you were planning on using). 

I swear by this. It is the best way to make boiled peanuts. The peanuts add a nice little zing. Try it! :)

pickles in peanuts.... hmmmm. Interesting! I usually season my peanuts like I season my seafood boils. I may have to try the pickles. But I prefer to boil a whole sack of peanuts at a time. Season's coming up soon!

frydad4 said:
I love boiled peanuts too!!! 
Here's a trick I learned from a roadside stand in rural north florida, I do it this way ever since. 

In each boil, throw in dill pickles (buy whole ones, cut them in half). For a standard kitchen pot, maybe 3 whole pickles or more, for taste. 
Also, add a handful of dried chilis. 
Then let the magic happen. (Use however much salt and water you were planning on using). 

I swear by this. It is the best way to make boiled peanuts. The peanuts add a nice little zing. Try it! :)

I think you wrote this a few years back Fry,,Been doin it ever since! Awesome

:cool:
Kevin

do a small batch when you try the pickles for the first time, I don't know how many you'd add for a whole sack. 

The point is you want half-pickles floating in the water. Quarter-pickles if you cut them smaller. Use Dill. 

It's so damn good!

I'm from north florida and man I love some boiled peanuts, I ate some today actually. The best ones are the ones at the flea-markets, but every once in a while a gas station will have some good ones, gotta kinda trust them though because I've seen a lot of disgusting "peanut stations" in the gas stations.. At one point we even had a convenience store that sold frozen boiled peanuts that were awesome..

I make them every once in a while but haven't had the chance to make spicy ones, my mom always wants some and she hates spicy food. I'm definitely going to try the pickle thing though. I think we have half a bag of green peanuts still..

Make 2 batches at a time, one for her, one for you.. I use a crock pot, about 20-30 bucks. Maybe cheaper at a flea market. Good stuff. Then again there's always peanuts in a bottle of Coke...:-)

CraigJS (or anyone) would you mind posting or linking to your preferred boiled peanuts recipe? Never had them before but I think its something I'd like to try... :think:  

Google, "Rachel's Superheated Cajun Boiled Peanuts" , strange texture but they grow on you. Use jumbo RAW peanuts in the shell, not roasted, salted etc. I get mine online, again Google is your friend. Recipe calls for 1 lb/ batch, I buy 5lb. at a time and they come in 1lb sealed bags.
You can add extra peppers if you like, I've used Scotch Bonnet powder and Habs for more kick.. Enjoy (great with beer)

i love bolied peanuts. never had the pickle flavor but i want.    

there is this old lady at the cattle market that slings boiled peanuts during the auction. they are some of the best ive had.

Keep in mind, you need LOTS of salt! LOTS! Peanuts don't readily absorb salt, so you almost have to overdo it. You also need lots of patience. If I boil a sack of peanuts outside in my seafood boiling rig, they take about four hours. If I do them inside on the stovetop, they take about 9 hours. Crazy, right?

Louisiana is the home of boiled peanuts IMO
Some of the best you will ever find/eat are from that region of the US.
The best places are usually down old hwy one well south of I-10,real cajun(coonass country)
They use the seafood/crawfish boiling liquids after no less then 20 runs and often more.

They keep the heat on all night after they close to keep reducing the liquid,its that wonderful by product they use to boil the peanuts in
That same juice is used to reheat per order
Ive even purchased said juice and used it at home in my gumbo and such

Never found anything close to them in Florida or any other state that enjoys these treats

Never tried La. boiled peanuts. Guess the difference doesn't make my liking for this recipe any less. Would like to try them though...

New batch today. Added 3/4 tsp of Moruga Scorpion powder to cook. Nice heat. The wife even likes this level. ( I wanted to put in more, but..) Next batch will use 1tsp.

Try the pickle thing with whatever hot peppers you want. 
It's a game changer!!!! I don't do it without pickles anymore!!!

And yea, LOTS of salt!!!...and they take for-friggin-ever to make!!! 

TNKS said:
Louisiana is the home of boiled peanuts IMO
Some of the best you will ever find/eat are from that region of the US.
The best places are usually down old hwy one well south of I-10,real cajun(coonass country)

LA 1... you must be talking about Lafourche parish, down toward Golden Meadow and Grand Isle. Or you can go Hwy 90 into Lafayette/Opelousas area for some of the best boudin in the state. I'm gonna try Fiddy's pickle recipe next time. If he swears by them, I trust it.

But yeah, we like to use seafood boil to season our... everything. And no. Old Bay is NOT seafood boil. Sorry to all of the OB lovers

I know this is an old thread, but...

There used to be a produce stand on hwy 13 just north of Tuscaloosa. It has been gone now for years but we used to NEVER pass it by without stopping in for their boiled peanuts. The old man there told me that the secret to good boiled peanuts is, after boiling, let them cool until they all sink, then heat them back up.

Back