shipping Differences in USPS shipping the same package, 3 different ways

So call me late to the party but I found this profoundly interesting. Same package: Hot Sauce Box 3-Pack in the USPS Priority Flat Rate Padded Envelope.

• At a kisok / clerk in the Post Office, the package shipped for $5.95, point of sale, no tracking number.
  • From USPS.com when choosing the Flat Rate, Priority Padded Envelope option, is $5.70 (it tells you you saved 25¢), comes with tracking number and insurance
  • From PayPal.com, when printing shipping inside your account, is $5.05, with tracking number and $50 insurance.
By using PayPal:
Savings of 85¢, or 14.2% over point of sale

By using USPS Account directly:
Savings of .25¢, or 4.4% over point of sale

Am I missing something here, or why would USPS be 60¢ cheaper when using PayPal vs it's own USPS Click-n-Ship?

Not sure but SFRB are 5.25 with click-n-ship instead of 5.80 at the counter. I'll check out PayPal and see if that is cheaper than 5.25. There could be many reasons why it is cheaper at PP, perhaps their technology is more advanced and cheaper to run therefore cheaper to us. I fins with many things I go outside the true source to get cheaper prices....the reason Amazon is almost my #1 ;)

Just checked - SFRB is same price at USPS and PayPal, does save me a step if I just use PayPal

Mine is $5.05 for paypal on the padded envelope, or $5.70 from USPS for the padded envelope (same flat rate) - but the paypal doesn't expressly differentiate between "Padded flat rate" like the usps does.  The post office charges full

Back