• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

how to dry chille

i have a new fruit dryer. In the manual it say that paprika need maybe 8 hour to dry, i have now habanero lemon and jamaican scotch yellow in there, i started with them in one pice, but after 8 hours i cut them in half since they wasnt dry. They have now been there for 2 new hours but they are not dry yet. How long time will it take to dry chilli in a kitchen dryer like this

It depends both upon the temperature the dehydrator is set at and also how humid it is in your area. I don't see a temperature dial on that - is there one? Ideally you will dry at no higher than 90F to retain color. That low of a temp also keeps the seeds viable, should you desire that. I live very close to one of the great lakes, so it's rather humid here in the summer. At 90F, I usually give my pods a couple to three days to dry.

I have a Presto Dehydro. Not sure how it compares with yours, but I usually dry my peppers for 12-16 hours, or until they are cracker dry. Also, I cut them in half first, with the cut part facing up. 

its only two speed, 1 and 2. The humid is at 45-60% today. Its 250watt the Presto is 400watt? So it could take a day or two. Thanx :-)

The model I have is 600 watt, and there's no temp adjustment setting, just plug it in. Not sure the temp, but the colors don't change much when they dry out, I guess it's on the lower end. It works really well so far, and was cheap.

I have two dryers, I use the smaller system that I got at Walmart for my peppers.  I cut and deseed my pepper pods and put them skin down they dry better this way and the flavor and oils pretty much stay intact and don't gass you or anyone else to death and I turn mine on the lowest setting to preserve the color which takes about 12 or more hours to dry, the colors really come through especially the white and yellows which turn a dull tan or grey if they get too hot.
I would keep the pods as far as possible from the direct heat so that they will dry much slower than at the top.

What is a good or best way dry pods without dehydrators?or are dehydrators the better way to go about the drying process.

Back