• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Old Crossbow Herbicide...Removing it from sprayer

I have a 1-gal plastic sprayer with some old Crossbow herbicide inside, maybe 1-2 years old.  Can the Crossbow be cleaned out entirely so that the sprayer can be used for something else?  Yeah, I know I probably should just buy another sprayer.  But, is there a way to remove all the Crossbow and residue?

what is crossbow?

unless its an insanely potent herbacide, a cleaning with a strong detergent will remove it almost completely.

hot water+ plus powdered dish washing soap is what i used to clean out my pesticide sprayer after i used it to spray glyphosate.

literally just pumped it up, with the soapy water, and held the trigger down with a rubber band and walked away.

if crossbow is like 2,4-d? i would probably do that a few times over.

if there is left over herbacide in that thing... put it in a labeled mason jar. dont flush it down any drains ever. dont let it into storm sewers either.

If you have any old latex paint, you can dump the pesticide into it, stir it up and then lay a big plastic sheet on your driveway and dump the paint out onto the plastic. After the paint fully dries (usually just a few hours in hot summer sun), roll up the plastic, and throw it into your trash can.

The latex locks up the pesticides pretty well.  

very interesting. ive heard of sequestering pollutants in bentonite clay & kitty litter, but never the latex paint.

can you reference that? id like to read about it.

queequeg152 said:
what is crossbow?

unless its an insanely potent herbacide, a cleaning with a strong detergent will remove it almost completely.

hot water+ plus powdered dish washing soap is what i used to clean out my pesticide sprayer after i used it to spray glyphosate.

literally just pumped it up, with the soapy water, and held the trigger down with a rubber band and walked away.

if crossbow is like 2,4-d? i would probably do that a few times over.

if there is left over herbacide in that thing... put it in a labeled mason jar. dont flush it down any drains ever. dont let it into storm sewers either.

http://www.dowagro.com/en-us/usag/product-solution-finder/herbicides/crossbow

I received an email from Dow.  It can be flushed out with ammonia, or trisodium phosphate, and water.  Let sit 24 hours, then flush.

Roguejim said:

http://www.dowagro.com/en-us/usag/product-solution-finder/herbicides/crossbow

I received an email from Dow.  It can be flushed out with ammonia, or trisodium phosphate, and water.  Let sit 24 hours, then flush.
 cool thanks for the link, always like to learn about pesticides/herbacides.

according to the MSDS its 2,4-D + Triclopyr.

TSP is basically dish soap.if you look at most powdered dish soaps they are like 30% TSP sometimes...
you can find it in Home depot in the painting area usually. its usefull for removing old glue from wall paper prior to painting...  its like 2-4 bucks an LB.

its fairly basic, keep it out of your eyes... if you think head and shoulders hurts your eyes, TSP could literally damage your eyes its so strong.

its not cool to flush the stuff down the storm sewers because its a source of phosphate, and will eventually find its way into rivers and then the ocean. i would flush it down your sink/ sanitary  sewers,unless you have a septic system. it will be mostly oxidized... hopefully, by a treatment plant.

queequeg152 said:
 cool thanks for the link, always like to learn about pesticides/herbacides.

according to the MSDS its 2,4-D + Triclopyr.

TSP is basically dish soap.if you look at most powdered dish soaps they are like 30% TSP sometimes...
you can find it in Home depot in the painting area usually. its usefull for removing old glue from wall paper prior to painting...  its like 2-4 bucks an LB.

its fairly basic, keep it out of your eyes... if you think head and shoulders hurts your eyes, TSP could literally damage your eyes its so strong.

its not cool to flush the stuff down the storm sewers because its a source of phosphate, and will eventually find its way into rivers and then the ocean. i would flush it down your sink/ sanitary  sewers,unless you have a septic system. it will be mostly oxidized... hopefully, by a treatment plant.
 Years ago, I poured some TSP/water mixture on a small patch of my lawn.  Dead.  Once or twice a year, the county let's us take poisons to a drop off place.  No need to dump.

yea, tsp will absolutely kill grass etc.

while im not trying to discourage you from taking the stuff to a dump, it can indeed be disposed of much as washing machine water etc.
when it makes to to your sewage treatment plant, it will be digested by organisms in the aeration basin. the effluent from this treatment plant will contain far less phosphate.
its not a perfect so solution, but its better than the storm sewers.

what i hate is when people will buy like 100bucks worth of tsp... like 50 lbs. to CLEAN their driveways...
thats like 20 pounds of raw phosphate washing directly down into storm water sewers and eventually into riverways. that shit is insanely irresponsible. these same folks, who relish a clean driveway, will in an instant start foaming at the mouth, blaming this and that corporation... monsanto blah blah blah, for algal blooms in the gulf...

i however admit to pollution on my own... i use TSP, 4 cups into a 30gallon tank of water, to clean pool filter elements.  i have a valve at the bottom of this tank, and i open it up onto the lawn, while adding more water to it with a hose. like half of it runs off tho...

the grass seems to tolerate it.

some time in the future i would like to install a utility sink. then i could pump the waste TSP solution directly into that sink, and into the san sewer system.

Clean well because Crossbow is powerful stuff.
2,4-D..............34.4% Triclopyr..........16.5%

That was the only herbicide that killed invasive blackberry in my backyard. I'd use it in the fall when the vines were busy storing nutrients in the roots. It wouldn't come back in the spring. Took me a few years of fighting those buggers before a neighbor recommended it.

queequeg152 said:
invasive black berries? could you eat the berries?

sounds like a pretty nice weed to have lol.

Yes, you can and it's quite nice under certain circumstances. However, blackberry (which is not native) is an invasive weed in Oregon, my former home state. During the summer it grows like wildfire - giant barbed wire vines that eventually form into cancerous hedge rows. It can take over entire fields, lawns, etc. fast.  A lot of money is spent trying to control it. The railroads buy Crossbow by the truckload to beat blackberry back from the lines. In some cases, the only treatment is a bulldozer. If it starts to take hold in your lawn, you're in for a multi-year battle because the tiniest of remaining roots will flourish again. Here's a government map regarding this invasive plant.

weed_armenianblackbery11_lg.jpg

Back