• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Good place to buy fresh, dried, powder, or flakes in Canada?

I'm looking for either fresh, dried, powder, or flakes from a Canadian retailer. Reason I want it from Canada is because it appears most of the American retailers don't sell to Canada. In addition, I'm not sure how well peppers would survive crossing the border. I'm aiming to purchase levels of heat from habanero and up. I've found a few sites, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

Hell, I'll even purchase peppers from personal growers in Canada that sell at a fair price. :)

Can anyone help me out?

:welcome: from Nova Scotia. :)

I'm working my ass off to try and get a business established up here in Canada, but that's a hard road ahead of me. I think I've seen some other members from the Ontario area mention some small markets carrying some hots/super hots and if you have any SuperStores/Loblaws in your area you might be able to find a couple different brands there.

And there's a company there in Ontario called "NatureFresh.ca" that's started supplying across Canada in the past few months. They put out about 2-3 different packs that are basically variety packs (despite being labelled as, say, "Ghost Pepper" or "Trinidad Scorpion"), with the Scorpion being the hottest in the packs.. I've not encountered any poor quality, but I think some of the folks out in the western provinces haven't had the best of experiences.

Other than that, I'm not sure of any other suppliers, though some of the members from Ontario might be able to better help you out. :)

Super Hots Canada said:

I'm working my ass off to try and get a business established up here in Canada, but that's a hard road ahead of me. I think I've seen some other members from the Ontario area mention some small markets carrying some hots/super hots and if you have any SuperStores/Loblaws in your area you might be able to find a couple different brands there.

And there's a company there in Ontario called "NatureFresh.ca" that's started supplying across Canada in the past few months. They put out about 2-3 different packs that are basically variety packs (despite being labelled as, say, "Ghost Pepper" or "Trinidad Scorpion"), with the Scorpion being the hottest in the packs.. I've not encountered any poor quality, but I think some of the folks out in the western provinces haven't had the best of experiences.

Other than that, I'm not sure of any other suppliers, though some of the members from Ontario might be able to better help you out. :)
I think someone touched on those variety packs in another thread. The sell them at Fresh co, Sobey's not sure where else.
Last one i had there was choco/red bhut, scotch bonnet,Trinidad scorpion.

What part of Ontario are you from?

Super Hots Canada said:

I wish you the best of luck getting your business off the ground! My dad's side of the family are in Nova Scotia - great place to visit. I see your Facebook is quite active. Are you selling anything? I wouldn't be opposed to supporting you a little. ;)

I've seen the Nature Fresh peppers in stores (in fact, I have some in the fridge right now). My issue with them is that they seem expensive. Think I paid $4 for about 15 assorted peppers (each about medium sized - 80g total) ranging from habaneros to trinidad scorpions. I'm quite new to buying fresh peppers (I used to exclusively buy powders and flakes), but does that price seem about right? Secondly, out of the last 5-6 times I've gone to the grocery store only once did I find peppers that were actually fresh. Lastly, consistency seems to be a big problem. Rarely do they actually have super hot peppers. More often than not the only Nature Fresh packs you can find only contain jalapeños.
More Hotta said:
I think someone touched on those variety packs in another thread. The sell them at Fresh co, Sobey's not sure where else.
Last one i had there was choco/red bhut, scotch bonnet,Trinidad scorpion.

What part of Ontario are you from?

I totally didn't think of checking out FreshCo. We have in town, but I've never checked it out. Going to go there today. :)

I'm from Barrie, which is about 100km from Mississauga.

Sobeys and Foodland both carry the naturefresh peppers around here (Peterborough). They are regularly $2.99 at Sobeys, however I have seen on sale at $2.75 and 2 for $5. Check out your local farmers markets too, sometimes you can find different peppers there in the fall.

If you are up for a drive and want a fair amount of fresh pods to dry yourself, I would take a road trip to the St. Jacobs Farmers Market.  This time of year they usually have 1/4 and 1/2 bushel baskets of habs and scotch bonnets  , thai ,  and there are usually some ghost  and occasionally  other varieties of superhots sold in smaller containers.   I need to get over there some time in the next week or two to buy some scotch bonnets , so I will take a look around and let you know what I see there.  

There are several people here on THP that sell dried powders/flakes/pods that would probably ship to Canada.  Joyners comes to mind, Red Hawk Peppers has some powders, I can't remember all the others but check out the classifieds.  I have some Jonah 7 Pot and some Trinidad Scorpion Moruga powders. 

Depending on the quantity you are looking for, shipping to CA would be ~$8 for about 100 grams up to ~$17 for up to 500g.  I'd venture to guess any of the pepper around here would work with you if you wanted to pay the shipping. 

Good Luck in your search! 

bbqdbanana said:

I wish you the best of luck getting your business off the ground! My dad's side of the family are in Nova Scotia - great place to visit. I see your Facebook is quite active. Are you selling anything? I wouldn't be opposed to supporting you a little. ;)

I've seen the Nature Fresh peppers in stores (in fact, I have some in the fridge right now). My issue with them is that they seem expensive. Think I paid $4 for about 15 assorted peppers (each about medium sized - 80g total) ranging from habaneros to trinidad scorpions. I'm quite new to buying fresh peppers (I used to exclusively buy powders and flakes), but does that price seem about right? Secondly, out of the last 5-6 times I've gone to the grocery store only once did I find peppers that were actually fresh. Lastly, consistency seems to be a big problem. Rarely do they actually have super hot peppers. More often than not the only Nature Fresh packs you can find only contain jalapeños.

Thanks! :) Unfortunately, I definitely don't have enough growing to sell any fresh peppers. I'll be giving a few out to friends (a few friends want to try the Naglah lol) but mostly I'll be keeping them for myself, for the seeds (to trade and sell).

I think they NatureFresh packs are a bit more expensive around here. If I remember correctly the local SuperStores charge $4.99/pack. I guess I've been fortunate in terms of getting fresh pods - of the plenty of packs I've gotten I've only encountered one pod so far that's had an issue (looks like there's a whole from a bug, but the rest in the pack are fine), but I definitely agree on the issue of consistency - seems to be rather hit & miss whether the stores will have any.

Ashen said:
If you are up for a drive and want a fair amount of fresh pods to dry yourself, I would take a road trip to the St. Jacobs Farmers Market.  This time of year they usually have 1/4 and 1/2 bushel baskets of habs and scotch bonnets  , thai ,  and there are usually some ghost  and occasionally  other varieties of superhots sold in smaller containers.   I need to get over there some time in the next week or two to buy some scotch bonnets , so I will take a look around and let you know what I see there.  
Yikes! St. Jacobs is a 6+ hour drive for me. That is a little far. haha

I've checked the farmers market in town and they didn't have anything remotely hot. I'll ask the produce vendors what they know next time I head over. It's only a few minutes from my house.
salsalady said:
There are several people here on THP that sell dried powders/flakes/pods that would probably ship to Canada.  Joyners comes to mind, Red Hawk Peppers has some powders, I can't remember all the others but check out the classifieds.  I have some Jonah 7 Pot and some Trinidad Scorpion Moruga powders. 

Depending on the quantity you are looking for, shipping to CA would be ~$8 for about 100 grams up to ~$17 for up to 500g.  I'd venture to guess any of the pepper around here would work with you if you wanted to pay the shipping. 

Good Luck in your search! 
That's exactly what I'm doing right now - messaging people in the marketplace to see how much shipping would cost me.

Joyners or Red Hawk Peppers doesn't ring a bell. I don't think they're listed in the marketplace at the moment.

I was at St. Jacobs today and the pickings were slim.  It looks like the vendor that usually had a good variety of fresh pods at the higher heat range hasn't come back to the market after the main building fire.  very limited supply of green habaneros seemed to be the upper limit of  what other vendors had to offer.  lots of lower end though, jalapeno, cherry bomb, thai, cayenne etc. 

bbqdbanana said:
I'm looking for either fresh, dried, powder, or flakes from a Canadian retailer. Reason I want it from Canada is because it appears most of the American retailers don't sell to Canada. In addition, I'm not sure how well peppers would survive crossing the border. I'm aiming to purchase levels of heat from habanero and up. I've found a few sites, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

Hell, I'll even purchase peppers from personal growers in Canada that sell at a fair price. :)

Can anyone help me out?
HI, 
This is Roy from India. We grow Ghost peppers in Bulk and also export it to different countries. if you are interested please leave a meassage at nagaspiceproducts@gmail.com

Thanks

Super Hots Canada said:

Hi, 

This is Roy from India. I hope you are doing well with your business now. We grow the best quality ghost peppers from India as the peppers are indian origin. We can help you get the best quality of Oven Dried Pods, paste, flakes and powder. If interested please mail us at nagaspiceandherbs@gmail.com or s.roy@nagaspiceandherbs.com.

We also export many companies in USA. 

icespice said:
Hi, 

This is Roy from India. I hope you are doing well with your business now. We grow the best quality ghost peppers from India as the peppers are indian origin. We can help you get the best quality of Oven Dried Pods, paste, flakes and powder. If interested please mail us at nagaspiceandherbs@gmail.com or s.roy@nagaspiceandherbs.com.

We also export many companies in USA. 

Business advertising belongs in the Marketplace or under "Promotions" and the topic is looking for sellers in Canada, not India. ;)

Back