• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Indoor Fatalii Scrog

Hey everyone! I'm back with something I've always wanted to do but have been putting it off for several years, an indoor hot pepper scrog. I've been busy with my greenhouse this year, remodeling my house, work (of course), going back to school full time and last but definitely not least entertaining a new woman. Cross my fingers this one works out, I'm 36 now and hoping for something to stick! lol .... The greenhouse has has been going well but I'm still working on getting it completely dialed in for my very tough climate (Flagstaff, AZ - 7,000' elevation).

Anyway, I had a few extras out in the greenhouse and the remodel on my garage is getting close to being done so I figured I'd give it a go. I had my pick between Pepper Guru's Fatalii (seeds came from his big mother plant he had a few years ago, a chocolate bhut or regular bhut. I went with Pepper Guru's fatalii.

I have several hurdles to overcome right out of the gate. Firstly, this plant was in the greenhouse, the greenhouse plants have aphids. However, this plant was 6' high on a rack and I inspected it EXTREMELY well. I didnt see a single bug on it. Just to be safe I sprayed the hell out of it, scraped out all the potted soil it was in, brought it in and transplanted it into a 5 gallon container filled with supersoil and a generous amount of worm castings from my bins. Im going to keep a very close eye on it and next week Im leaving out of town so I may stick a hot shot pest strip out in the garage next to it for the 5 days Ill be gone, just as a safety precaution. I've been hit with spider mites on my indoor medical grows and I definitely dont want to deal with it this go around. Time will tell and we will see if I dodged the bullet.

Secondly, as mentioned Im 7,000' up. Night time temps outside are already dipping into the low 40's and my garage is NOT insulated. I do believe we will get another month of warmer weather but we will be well on our way into winter soon. At that time I may have to look to moving this setup into the house, or into a storage room I recently built in the garage as part of my remodel. If I move it into the storage room (which is probably what Ill do) I can put a space heater in there on a thermostate and keep proper growing conditions going through winter.

Otherwise, the plant may just have to slow down in another month or two, probably just about the time it starts filling up the "screen".

Heres what I have going so far, I literally just transplanted her about thirty minutes ago:

Transplant8-21-142of5_zps1e32fa9f.jpg

Transplant8-21-141of5_zps9a927127.jpg

Transplant8-21-143of5_zps09d4aa3a.jpg

Transplant8-21-144of5_zps4a3a3d01.jpg

Transplant8-21-145of5_zpsd3060f72.jpg

Right now I have her under a 4' x 4 bulb T5. The bulbs are very old and about to go out, which is fine, because I have a new 4' x 8 bulb unit on its way with new bulbs that Ill use once she grows through the top shelf and fills it up.

As you can see, the light is currently mounted UNDERNEATH the shelf right above it. This will change. Once the plant grows a bit Ill put the light above the shelf and let the plant grow up through it. As she grows, I will tie down the branches until she completely covers the shelf horizontally. At that point (or sometime a little before this point) Ill swap out this light for the larger 8 bulb unit and hit her with a full 40,000 lumens about 3-4" from the canopy. I currently have the lights on from 6PM through the night until noon in an attempt to keep her warmer.

Wish me luck that she is productive and I side stepped any pests!

Good luck, I really want to see how well a screen of peppers will work out, it's one of my favorite methods in theory.

May try that next season, as I have 4 in root spa's under an 8 tube 4' T5.
Problem is, even with a constant fan on them, they got over 4' tall (literally "sea of green") and so top heavy and grown together that keeping them from falling over on occasion was impossible.

Aphids flew in, and even with a generous application of lady bugs (1500 of them) I ended up cutting about 1/2 the foilage off.

I hope to avoid similar next time, so maybe scrogging and loli-popopping will work for "non medical" types, and make any needed application of bug killer easier, as well as adding much needed support.

I am sure the pods will be smaller, as that is what we are growing for-----not aromatic nugs--- and the smaller the branch, the smaller the pod as a general rule.

This should be very cool to watch. Are you planning on tipping the plant?

As for the aphids be proactive and introduce some friendly bugs.

Thanks everyone. Im going to put a hot shot pest strip in there while Im gone on vacation for about 5 days as a preventative but I really think I got around them with my washing and root prune. Ive had plants loaded with aphids before and I just chopped them down to nothing, root pruned the hell out of 'em and ditched the old dirt, replacing with new and putting them in under HID and they rebounded nicely pest free so I think this should be no different.

I have a 6'x10' storage room that I recently built as part of the garage remodel, I ordered some storage racks and once they come in I can get all the stuff stored in there organized and moved out  of the room, which will free me up to put this fatalii in the room. It should be a good fit because I can put a space heater in there on a thermostate (as mentioned) but additionally, the gas water heater is in there so you never know ... that little bit of CO2 put off from the water heater may just help! Probably wont amount to much but it cant hurt.

Im going to let the plant grow wild for now until it reaches that upper shelf, then Ill inspect its structure and figure out how I want to train the branches. My other fataliis have been very branchy, branching early on so I expect at least four main shoots that I can use to run up through the shelf, and then tie them down and train them flat along the shelf so that I can have a very uniform canopy and get that T5 right down on top of the plant capturing as much light as possible. I dont imagine the pods will be record breaking by any means, and they may be on the small side but Ill be running the plant 2.5' up to the shelf, then another 2' in either direction flat on the shelf, so we are talking about a 5' plant here in reality. A 5' plant in a 5 gallon bucket should produce fairly well Id think. Time will tell I guess, for better or worse this is how its going down lol.

Ill get pics of my greenhouse up soon, I have a 7 pod, chocolate bhut, fatalii and a regular red bhut out there that are just starting to take off (about 3' tall or so). Our monsoon season has rolled in so its been gloomy almost every day this month, and probably will be for another month with temps in the 60's during the day and the 40's at night. I have a 30,000 BTU furnace in there though so Im keeping temps in the 60's at night for the plants and during the day it seems to hang around the low 70's so the plants arent doing much. When the sun does pop out the temps shoot up into the 90's. Once our monsoon season ends I expect them all to take off! The tomatoes are doing pretty ok considering the low light conditions, one is loaded with green tomatoes and several of them are over 7' tall now.

Thanks for stopping by everyone, this is gonna be fun!     :dance:  :party:  :party:

Back