• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

FREE - 20 litre/5.2 Gallon plastic drums.

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
I can get 20 litre/5.2 Gallon plastic drums which can be cut down to make large pots for free.

See here: https://db.tt/b1VgRxpb

They are only thrown into the rubbish so obviously reusing them is much more environmentally friendly and such.

They need to be cleaned out as the previous contents was a water soluble glue. This is easily done with some warm water and "should" pose no threat to a potted chilli.

I'm located in the western suburbs of Melbourne Australia and am happy to organize a way to get some to you.

However, I will not deliver, post or go out of my way to get some to you. If you want some, come get them.

I can get as many as you want within reason.

Cheers.......

Thanks guys, it's such a waste when many a Chilli plant could find a new home in one. Have grown Chilli and tomatoes in them with no problems.

Cut the top off and drill a few drainage holes in the base and you're done!

Ha, ha. If I thought it'd have half a chance making its way to you, then sure. Honestly though, I see somewhere between 50-60 of these things being thrown out every week. Seems like suuuuuuch a waste. I'll probably plant a few out just for the fun of it.

Our season is just starting so time's a ticking......

Go nuts with the ones you can't give away.  Fill them with ordinary dirt, sprout a plant in each, then sell them for $5 to $10 depending on size.  A lot of people would pay that for an established plant that already has a large container and soil coming with it so it's ready to go.

those jugs are insanely valuable, lol im astonished you guys dont have a program to exchange them back to the manufacturer.

they cost like 5 bucks a wack in pallet quantities. the major suppliers sell them piece meal for like 10 bucks a wack down here.

if it helps they are great for holding solvents etc, oils anything. dont just think of them as planters. you can store liquid fertilizers in them all kinds of crap.
you can get new caps too, im asuming those caps were the puncture type, for the hand pump dispensors.

We get them shipped full from Germany so it would be too costly to send them back to be refilled. We don't puncture them at all, just unscrew the lid and they get emptied via a pump. When they are empty the cap goes back on, and they get thrown out. 

I agree they are too good to throw away,  but I can only do so much. I've had no takers at all.

It's a shame really.......

SR.

well man. i mean. in the states homogenized HDPE shredded to specs has been going up and up in price as more and more products come out using at least some portion of recycled HDPE.

i think wholesale, homogenized shredded white HDPE is like 20 - 40 cents an Lb now. price is wildly variable depending on location however, as not every city has a port or rail yard to ship plastic scrap cheaply.

just an idea, but you might be able to crush them down, more or less flat, and make a few bucks every now and then hauling them to a scrap center. 

problem with that idea is... these things are made to be stacked like 3 high at least, so i imaging they will be very difficult to smash effectivly.

Around here people sell them on craigslist, around $1.50 ea. or 10 for $10, food grade with a little residue the buyer cleans out.

^  What is the point of a grow bag that size unless you are a nursery growing a tree you want to sell later?  I suppose it could conserve water vs growing in-ground, but "here" water is plentiful and inexpensive.

I've seen a few guys on here with raised planters. If you live somewhere and the soil is crap, it makes for a usable alternative. Besides, you could easily cut the bag in half, or fold the edges over in half to make a cheap (they're free remember) 500 litre/130 gallon raised bed.

I'm in Sunbury 3429 Karmicguide.

SR.

Wow.

Personally I would get them and whack them on gumtree or similar.

Drill some drainage holes and be done with it. I hate Melbourne but I kinda like it a little bit now.

Bunnings sells those for a tad under $16 a POP here. What's with these grow bags? I am sure I could convince you to send me some of those puppies!

I can get the timber corner posts and the outer bag only. Outer bag is easily strong enough to hold soil. Not sure how it'd hold up in the sun though.

20141104_05273_edit_1415171830578.jpg

Back