• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Unknowns from Peppermania Business Card Seed Mix

Ordered some seeds from Peppermania a few years ago and never grew the mixed seeds she stapled to her business card. Tried to grow them this year and had 16 of them germinate. I killed off most of them when I put them outside in a portable greenhouse and they got cooked. 4 survived.

The last picture is a plant I bought at a local nursery labelled Purira. I bought the same plant and a trinidad perfume from them last year and they grew true.

FLd3am.jpg

This one turned out to be a Bulgarian Carrot

WaZ7uq.jpg
JwIGCv.jpg

I ate one of these still green and it's got some heat. I'm thinking maybe a type of cayenne? A lot of the peppers have little spikes near the tips.

2QF1kY.jpg
7RrScz.jpg

Ate one of these unripe. No heat at all. I have no clue what it could be.

dS2gWL.jpg

This one scares me.

0FQRvR.jpg

This was labelled Purira. Has about the same heat as a jalapeno.

third one looks like a Baccatum (AJI)
not sure which though

fifth is not purira its too big and not "up-turned"" also purira is very hot much hotter than a Jal

hope this helps a little

thanks your friend joe

growing peppermania's mystery seeds can be pretty fun, especially narrowing down what you have grown.

what i do, is identify the variety, then go to peppermania's website and select seeds from the left side panel. then you will see download list of 2012 seed listing. this i believe contains most of what peppermania offered in the past.  then start searching, many can be scratched from the list and what is left gives you a reasonable starting point.

problem is there can be so many overlaps in pictures. i ended up with a broome pepper but there were about 3 different varieties that it could have been, including a peter pepper, as not all, if any peters turn out like the classic peter. i have another chinense to identify but i will have to wait for the pods to develop more before i can begin my search(it looks like every other chinense in early stages). the first year i grew the mystery seed was easy - i picked the black seeds!

good luck on identifying your mystery seeds.

I looked through the peppermania catalog before but wasn't convinced about any of the unknowns. The third is probably the Kaleidoscope baccatum. The second may be the holland hot finger.

I know she offered other varieties that aren't listed any more because I bought aribibi gusano seeds from her and one unknown is a bulgarian carrot, neither of which are on her website.

I thought that bonnet shaped one might be the foodorama scotch bonnet that she sold, but I've seen other peoples pods and they look very different.

I cross referenced Peppermania.com and I think the second pepper is

that is exactly how you have to do it and though it can be a painful process searches through a myriad of images hopefully one can narrow it down.

like i mentioned before, many times you run across images that look like the one you are researching, only to find it labeled as something different....but shit, it looks exactly like yours! could it be.... hard to tell.....let's look at another image and another and......

you eventually learn to weed out the mislabeled images but you certainly can learn a lot about peppers.

Steiner said:
I looked through the peppermania catalog before but wasn't convinced about any of the unknowns. The third is probably the Kaleidoscope baccatum. The second may be the holland hot finger.

I know she offered other varieties that aren't listed any more because I bought aribibi gusano seeds from her and one unknown is a bulgarian carrot, neither of which are on her website.

I thought that bonnet shaped one might be the foodorama scotch bonnet that she sold, but I've seen other peoples pods and they look very different.
hope your right about the third one im grow it next year
'
thanks YOUR friend Joe

I wrote Beth an email and have had no response...we used to be friends....wonder if she is still in business...if she closed down, it was probably because I stopped buying seeds.....not just from her but from everyone...she had the best Scotch Bonnet ever in the Foodarama...

AlabamaJack said:
I wrote Beth an email and have had no response...we used to be friends....wonder if she is still in business...if she closed down, it was probably because I stopped buying seeds.....not just from her but from everyone...she had the best Scotch Bonnet ever in the Foodarama...
Do you think that 4th pepper looks like the foodorama scotch bonnet?

Steiner said:
Do you think that 4th pepper looks like the foodorama scotch bonnet?

Photo 4 looks similar to a Bahamian Goat...

Here are my FDA's from a few yrs back. The Yellow was from Beth (peppermania).....the Green is an unripe .....and oddly enough the Red was grown from seeds from AJ..(probably originally from Yellow FDA stock)

AlabamaJack said:
does FDA stand for foodarama?

by the way, the red had to be a cross...sorry...

FDA is the foodarama Scotch Bonnet...... when you sent me the Red FDA seeds you said that out of all your yellow scotch bonnets you had one plant that threw out red pods....a few yrs back......  :D 

PIC 1 said:

FDA is the foodarama Scotch Bonnet...... when you sent me the Red FDA seeds you said that out of all your yellow scotch bonnets you had one plant that threw out red pods....a few yrs back......  :D 

well you know what they say is the first thing to go.... :)

I'm almost certain that the second pepper is the Guyana PI 199506 and the third is the Kaleidoscope baccatum.

If the 4th is a Bahamian Goat, I'll be pumped. Does anyone know if she ever offered those seeds? I looked on 2 catalogs and didn't see it listed.

The one I bought at a nursery that was labelled Purira is probably an anaheim or something similar, I'm not too concerned with that mystery.

Back