Controlling temperature

Finally got my smoker a few weeks ago ( thanks BBQ Phil ), and due to weather and/or schedule, was not able to try it till yesterday. I did up a batch of pork ribs. Flavour was great, and I was happy with the results, but I know they could have turned out better. They cooked quicker than I expected. What I found was that after about 1.5 hours in, at 225 - 250 for most of it, when I added wood chips, the temp shot up to 300. If this happens, what do you do? The obvious answer of popping the lid doesn't make sense to me, as you lose the smoke.

If this is a retarded question...be gentle...I am a rookie...:doh:

A few questions. Do you have a water pan? and are you using dry or wet woodchips? Is it a charcoal or gas unit?

Nice looking smoker. Did you have to order from the U.S.?
My only suggestion is to soak your woodchips/chunks before using.

POTAWIE said:
Nice looking smoker. Did you have to order from the U.S.?
My only suggestion is to soak your woodchips/chunks before using.

Actually I got it from Lowes. They are the Cdn distributor. I read not to soak the wood chips, as it causes them to ash, and the ash just winds up on the food. I thought maybe I had either too much charcoal, or was adding too much wood at one time.

Definitly soak them you'll get a smoke instead of a fire you can also wrap them in foil but I always soak for a good hour before smoking and I also use chunk when I can. There isnt a cyclone of air going thru so no ash on the food and besides when I mop them it'll just blend in ;). Also what kind of ribs spares or baby backs? I ususally follow a formula of 3-1-1 for spares the "3" means to slow smoke your ribs for 3 hours first. The second number "1" refers to the amount of time in the foil. Make sure it is tightly sealed in the foil. And the third number "1" refers to the amount of time after foiling. This is when you remove your barbecue ribs from the foil and place them back on the smoker, apply your favorite barbecue sauce for glazing. Glaze for one hour and your ribs should be done to perfection. I've tried 3-2-1 and found that the ribs get to mushy and a 1-1-1 for baby backs seem to work well too. I prefer Spares --

Thanks Ldawg - I'll give that a try, though I am still curious about the water pan. What is the purpose of that, if not temperature control?

Moisture control -- creates a nice moist heat and also doesnt let stuff drip all over and potentailly start a fire from the hotter end. Also regulates temperatures and it doesnt always have to be water -- Apple juice and sodas or leftover marindes are used too to add flavor in the process as well

I try not to monkey around with my coals when cooking. I prefer to fill it full of unlit coals and add a few lit coals & smoking wood. I control the heat by adjusting the air vent.

FWIW, the 3-2-1 (or variation of that) is a great way to cook ribs.

TN_BBQ said:
FWIW, the 3-2-1 (or variation of that) is a great way to cook ribs.

It is a golden bit of knowledge that I've learned from some Qing forums as well as the Minion method you mentioned (about the coals) I prefer 3-1-1 because I find that 2 hrs in foil is a bit to much -- I should also mention that I put some of my mop sauce in with the rib and foil and double foil each rib.

Back