• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chilli and taste

Hi, i have some madam jeanett yellow, should it have habanero taste/smell? I also have some Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Yellow thats strong and dont taste/smell like habanero and i really like that. I'm thinking of what to grow next year, is there more strong chilli out there that dont taste/smell like habanero? I have some Bhut Jolokia Chocolate and naga scorpion yellow also, but i'm waiting for them to ripe, does they taste/smell like habanero? Why does so many taste/smell like habanero?

pwb said:
Hi, i have some madam jeanett yellow, should it have habanero taste/smell? I also have some Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Yellow thats strong and dont taste/smell like habanero and i really like that. I'm thinking of what to grow next year, is there more strong chilli out there that dont taste/smell like habanero? I have some Bhut Jolokia Chocolate and naga scorpion yellow also, but i'm waiting for them to ripe, does they taste/smell like habanero? Why does so many taste/smell like habanero?
By Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Yellow are you referring to the mushroom shaped fruit in the photo you posted previously?

pwb said:
2014-08-04%2020.23.15%20%28Medium%29.jpg
The mushroom shaped fruit in the bowl appear to be C.annuum Jamaican Mushroom. The difference in flavour that you noticed is also a give away.

Do you have a photo of the plant?

Reactions: pwb
Yes, its the mushroom shape. I ordered this but i dont know if thats what i got since it says related to habanero. It dont smell or taste like habanero. It taste a litle like paprika and i think i can smell a litle orange from it. Its really nice. So if i would have chilli that dont taste like habanero i shouldnt use C. Chinense chilli? I will take a picture of the plant after work.

Cheiro Roxa, CGN21500 (one of my favourite) for example are also C. chinense but they don't have a Habanero smell/taste. Bhut Jolokia also has a different flavour (it is a C. frutescens x C. chinense hybrid), but there are many more.
As others said, the Jamaican Yellow is a C. annuum, that's why it tastes like paprika.

pwb said:
Yes, its the mushroom shape. I ordered this but i dont know if thats what i got since it says related to habanero. It dont smell or taste like habanero. It taste a litle like paprika and i think i can smell a litle orange from it. Its really nice. So if i would have chilli that dont taste like habanero i shouldnt use C. Chinense chilli? I will take a picture of the plant after work.
The photo they used in the listing is one they ripped off from Peppermania's photo gallery. This post from 2010 identifies the photo as being from Peppermania's gallery.

One of the attractive aspects of the C. chinense species is there is some variability in the flavour between the varieties. The orange Habanero fruit I have grown tastes different from the various red C. chinense varieties. Is your basis for comparison the original orange Habanero?

R014ND3R said:
Cheiro Roxa, CGN21500 (one of my favourite) for example are also C. chinense but they don't have a Habanero smell/taste. Bhut Jolokia also has a different flavour (it is a C. frutescens x C. chinense hybrid), but there are many more.
As others said, the Jamaican Yellow is a C. annuum, that's why it tastes like paprika.
The first flush of Biquinho, another Brazilian variety, tasted different to the other C. chinense fruit. The flavour seemed to revert back to the more typical C. chinense one in its second season. The difference in growing conditions from season to season had a noticeable impact on the flavour.

harry said:
By Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Yellow are you referring to the mushroom shaped fruit in the photo you posted previously?

The mushroom shaped fruit in the bowl appear to be C.annuum Jamaican Mushroom. The difference in flavour that you noticed is also a give away.

Do you have a photo of the plant?

I did take a photo, do you think it looks like Jamaican Mushroom? I want to have this next year to, i will try to overwinter some, but i want to order some seed to be sure.

pwb said:
I did take a photo, do you think it looks like Jamaican Mushroom? I want to have this next year to, i will try to overwinter some, but i want to order some seed to be sure.
Save the seed from some the fruit of your own plant and give it a go side by side the seed you purchase. The plant appears to be putting out fruit that's pretty consistent shape wise judging from your photos.

Reactions: pwb
Back