• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Somethings eating my pods

157dq92.jpg

35jdz05.jpg

Need a bit of help to combat this. I have 110+ plants in the backyard with loads of chilies.

Are we sure that isn't Blossom End Rot?  What type of media are they planted in?  Have you given them any calcium supplementation? 

BB

Berger bm7, bat guano, glacial rock dust, azomite, worm castings, mushroom compost, organic compost, coconut coir. I spray all of my plants twice a week with compost tea and I do not over water. This happened within the past 24 hours.

I have to agree with AJ, they definitely look like something has chewed on them and taken bites out in places. Blossom end rot usually leaves sunken dark areas whereas those chiles have been chomped on and pieces are missing. No idea what is eating them but looks to be an animal and not insect just by the way it looks like bites are taken out of some

Have you checked for tomato hornworms? I found one on a plant today. I had several peppers with the end completely eaten.

Tim

I have found a lot of lime green caterpillars and ants that swarm the flowers on my chili plants. The situation has since calmed down. I have not noticed any more eaten pods in the past few days.

Do you have those big grasshoppers in your yard? If so, that's your problem. 

rats and mice are mammals, and should be repelled by hot peppers. I'm not calling anybody a liar if they actually saw a rat eating a pod, but I wouldn't suspect rodents first. Grasshopper poop looks just like mouse poop.

I have had the opportunity to watch grasshoppers eating super hot pods and they leave the exact damage pictured. Still haven't figured out how to stop them though

Yep Ive had Rats, mice, and I'm guessing a squirrel eat mine. Caught too many Rats in traps to count over the last few years.
They eat the stalks and leaves too.

Back