• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

is annuum plants more robust than Chinense?

I have some annuum plants and some chinense plants. It looks like the leaves on the annuum plants are much more "correct" all the time. They dont curl or anything like some of the leaves on my other chinense plants.

it may be my soil, but I always have an easier time with the Chinenses.

Annuums grow better for me when they are little, but once I plant out, that switches.

no

i think chinense are bigger but take longer than annuums

chinense leaves 
IMG_20140403_130523.jpg

annuum leaves
IMG_20140403_125322.jpg

In my climate annuum are much more robust generally, producing pods even when temps are in the 90's and the nights are hot (which hasn't really happened this year though), there are exceptions though!

Annuum's grow quicker to a smaller final size.  Chinense are slower to start but have the ability to get much larger.  Chinense also grow ungodly quick when they are a little older.

I think it entirely depends on your growing climate. I always try to grow a few Annuums but the climatic conditions make them a huge target for broad mites. The chinense plants will only ever get mite damage after the Annuums. The Annuums never recover whereas the Chinense bounce back once treated much easier.
However both pale in comparison to Aji lemon plants (baccatum) .. those things are nearly bullet proof.
I also find Anuums wilt far quicker in hot conditions ...
I say plant as many as you can of all varieties and hedge your bets ;)

Personally I find that there are tough breeds of both species. I feel it also depends how long or how many generations the strain has been gown in the local area so has gotten used to the conditions.

This last year I have had both Annum's and Chinense, most died over winter. But some of each have also proved to be much tougher than others.

e.g. most of my 7 pots died, my bhuts died, all my sweet annums died.

The interesting thing is out of all my plants, the ones that survived the best by far (over winter) are the ones that I had bought from a local nursery (a simple habanero, and a cayenne). As far as im concerned they are simply tougher because they have been bread locally for a period of time and have become more acclimatized to the conditions. Both of those plants continued to pod over winter, NONE of my others have done that.
They are the only two to keep their leaves, and continue to fruit over winter.

A strain suited to the local conditions I think is the most robust.

EDIT; in sheer physical robustness I think chinense is more robust..stockier, thicker, stiffer stems. Annums can be a bit lanky and not handle the wind as good etc. Physically a bit more fragile.
The bugs also prefer my annums over my chinense's 

Chinense get larger but need either higher humidity or more water, so left alone in a field the annuums will be an easier grow except that they are more susceptible to blossom end rot.

Back