• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Refrigerating Hot Sauce?

Okay. A couple weeks ago the Boss says I should NOT refrigerate my hot sauces as it ruins them, or at least takes something away from the flavor and consistency. So, I take two of my own made sauces, which were prepared in a pressure cooker, out of the fridge and put them on the counter, and, I'll be damned if they don't have "more". The aroma is more pungent and peppery, and it pours better. The bottles were  heated in a 200 degree oven for twenty minutes before filling, so I am assuming they will be ok for a few weeks, which is what they will last anyway. So, he just might be on to something. Anybody else doing this? How long will they last like this?

Mine go in the fridge, regardless of what some one suggests, but only because I am weird like that.  I've read it's completely safe, so long as it was made up right. 

I guess I'm going to find out, but really, I eat it so fast I'm not actually worried. It is an interesting experiment...

jakester said:
Okay. A couple weeks ago the Boss says I should NOT refrigerate my hot sauces as it ruins them, or at least takes something away from the flavor and consistency. So, I take two of my own made sauces, which were prepared in a pressure cooker, out of the fridge and put them on the counter, and, I'll be damned if they don't have "more". The aroma is more pungent and peppery, and it pours better. The bottles were  heated in a 200 degree oven for twenty minutes before filling, so I am assuming they will be ok for a few weeks, which is what they will last anyway. So, he just might be on to something. Anybody else doing this? How long will they last like this?

IIRC, That discussion was in reference to commercially prepared sauces, not home canned sauces.  Your pressure canned sauces are fine to stay at room temp until opened, then they should definitely be refrigerated!!!!  Especially if you do not have an accurate pH.  I don't remember if the previous topic contained that minor detail of talking about a home canned sauce or not, but I'm pretty sure most of the other comments were in reference to commercially prepared sauces.   

Pressure canning makes thing shelf stable, which you have done, up to the point where the jar is opened.  Once opened, all gloves are off in the Nasties War if you leave the sauce at room temp.  Unless you know for a FACT the sauce is below 3.8pH (NOT the generally talked about 4.6pH) I very very strongly suggest refrigerating the opened jars.  Botulism is not something to mess around with.  Refrigerate your homemade sauce after opening, and bring to room temp at meal time. 

jakester said:
. Anybody else doing this? How long will they last like this?

Um, no. Anything that needed to be pressure canned can not be left out.

Get a pH meter. If your sauce is under 4, we can have this discussion again. Otherwise, "refrigerate after opening".

Thank you for your responses. I missed that it was for commercial sauces. In the fridge they go!
(Boy they taste great, though!)

Back