• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How to Preserve Seeds

This is what I do:

-Cut pod in half
-Scrape out seeds onto paper plate
-Label paper plate and let sit out on the counter for a few days to dry
-Put seeds in small plastic baggy, label, and put into baseball card sleeves
-Store in dark, cool place

AldenMiller said:
Is vacuum sealing the bag ok?

Probably not necessary if the bag is small and intact. There's just not that much air volume and, therefore, moisture or oxygen in the bag to damage the seeds. Just make sure the seeds are good and dry before sealing them up and always store them in a cool, dark, dry place and you should be fine.

edit: But for long term storage, vacuum sealing and freezing would probably be pretty effective.

Similar to outlaw, but I use paper coin envelopes to avoid any internal moisture/mold issues. This is how seeds are packaged for stores. But, sealing them in plastic is probably fine so long as they're completely dry beforehand.

If you want to get technical look up www.kew.org and look up millennium project I'm sure America must have its own version but that's for you guys to find

scooby said:
If you want to get technical look up www.kew.org and look up millennium project I'm sure America must have its own version but that's for you guys to find

Excellent website. I've been reading more on seed preservation lately, and appreciate the link :)

This is what I do:

-Cut pod in half
-Scrape out seeds onto paper plate
-Label paper plate and let sit out on the counter for a few days to dry
-Put seeds in small plastic baggy, label, and put into baseball card sleeves
-Store in dark, cool place

+ You can add some rice seeds to plastic bag to soak up moisture.

Do not mean to hi-jack this thread...
If you are going to freeze your peppers, should you collect seeds before you freeze or
after 6 + months, thaw the peppers and collect the seeds?

mine get cut in half, seeds removed and put on paper plate for about a week, then into a coin envelope inside a portion control ziploc.. then put them all in a bigger ziploc and put in the freezer until ready to use

Back