• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Doing well, not so well

Started all my plants in January. Some are well over 2 feet tall in hanging baskets from my small deck. I have 2 chocolate fatalli, 2 yellow devil's tongue (one is producing what appears to be scorpion so I think they were mislabled), 1 moreka fana, 1 peter pepper, one reaper and 1 Butch T.

Most of the plants are producing peppers. The fana and peter were the first to start, have lots of chilis, but blasted after about 2 months nothing is ripening.

It's going to start getting cold here in Seattle in a minute and I have ZERO room to put these indoors. What should I do so that I get to use these peppers???

FYI, I hit them with some fish fertilizer every 3 weeks and calmag ever 2 weeks. They are healthy and strong.

Let them go as long as possible outside, then if they're still unripe, pick them and put them in a paper bag inside. 

Okay. Whats the weather cutoff point?

Chiles can go well into October here in the NW if they are protected from frost at night.  Seattle may not even get a frost until November.  Just watch the weather forecasts, and if it looks suspect, throw a light blanket or sheet over them at night or just lift them onto the deck under cover.  If the soggy rain starts, that may be an issue for them, though. 

And + what Dash2 said.  If they are completely green it will be a push to get them to ripen in a brown paper bag, but if they have any little bit of color, the brown bag trick will work.  Add an apple to the bag for even faster ripening, but keep an eye on the apple as it can go bad before all the chiles are ripe. 

As SL said, protect them from frost. Chiles generally don't like their roots to get and stay below 50F. If you're growing in the ground, know that it will be warmer than the air. If you're growing in pots, it takes less time for the soil to cool down than it does in the ground. However, even if it gets down to the 40's at night, as long as it warms up (and hopefully is sunny) during the day, they'll be fine. I am in N.E. Ohio and grow in pots, and I've left my chile plants outside (inside the detached, unheated garage with the door open so they get light but not frost) down to about 35F at night and they've been ok as long as it warmed during the day. If you're growing in the ground and can't move them to some kind of shelter, ideally build a shelter for them. Check out hardware and farm equipment websites for things like row covers/hoop houses/greenhouses or build your own. Otherwise, spread fabric or plastic over them to keep the frost off. 

Note that the leaves may drop once the cold hits, but that won't stop them from ripening the pods.

Back