• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Best Shoe or Insole for Concrete?

I work 40 hours a week on concrete, mostly walking around. I also have a degenerative disc in my lower back (L5). What shoe or insole do you recommend? Thanks.

Redwings are nice shoes. If your looking for the best insoles try Prokinetics. They are the best insoles on the market in my opinion.

sp33d said:
Super feet are great..used them in my flight boots and combat boots...highly recommend them..
I used them for almost four years working security in the Silicon Valley. They helped a lot with all the walking I did which was probably 6-8 miles a day.

I once worshiped Red Wings,wore them for over 20yrs
One pair of KEEN boots changed all that,several pairs later I will never buy Redwing or any other brand again.
I buy new boots every two years,Ive yet to actually "wear out" a pair of KEEN,burn thru acouple sets of laces per pair......
I work in the oilfield industry where year round conditions are far from comfortable and terrain is very diverse
I buy American built as much as possible,no Chinese built wings for me thanks

:edit sp

Roguejim said:
I work 40 hours a week on concrete, mostly walking around. I also have a degenerative disc in my lower back (L5). What shoe or insole do you recommend? Thanks.

Alright I work on concrete 40-50 hrs a week for the last 8 years.  This might sound like hoopla to some but Im going to say it anyways.  Have you blood tested and check for deficiencies.  I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency and it caused my feet and back to hurt.  That's my story and Im sticking to it.

Not to get to far OT,regular Vitamin D is the best flu shot you can take as well as the above mentioned deficiency
My L5 has had me on a steady diet of Methocarbamol,Meloxicam and Tizanidine the last 5 yrs
Good boots make all the difference IMO

TNKS said:
Not to get to far OT,regular Vitamin D is the best flu shot you can take as well as the above mentioned deficiency
My L5 has had me on a steady diet of Methocarbamol,Meloxicam and Tizanidine the last 5 yrs
Good boots make all the difference IMO

I agree!  You need to start with good boots.  I like Olivers.

I can walk around my property (gravel, dirt, grass, some concrete) with little or no pain issues, even bare foot. Get me on concrete for a steady period, and my lower legs will go numb, eventually.

You guys using the supefeet insoles, what type shoe/boot are you putting them in? How long before they must be replaced?

as for vitamin D3, I already take 5,000 IU daily.

I had mine in a pair of Bates tactical boots like SWAT and other agencies use. They were pretty comfortable and you can take them out of one pair and put them in another if you decide to switch footwear.
Not sure how long they last but I used mine for a few years.

For insoles, I love PowerStep. It took a little while to get used to them at first, but I now put them in every shoe possible.

Rymerpt said:
REDWING

that is all

well your a redwing fan, me I'm not brand loyal cuz none of them are anything special and last about the same time length.....features are the selling point.

TNKS said:
I once worshiped Red Wings,wore them for over 20yrs
One pair of KEEN boots changed all that,several pairs later I will never buy Redwing or any other brand again.
I buy new boots every two years,Ive yet to actually "wear out" a pair of KEEN,burn thru acouple sets of laces per pair......
I work in the oilfield industry where year round conditions are far from comfortable and terrain is very diverse
I buy American built as much as possible,no Chinese built wings for me thanks

:edit sp

serious ! ?
I work in ND oilfield and I replace boots every year, they're destroyed in less than a year but I keep'em and replace before winter so I have comfortable dry boots for winter/spring. tried different brands and name don't mean squat....materials are the same (leather/rubber/etc..) plain an simple if they get used they don't last long no matter the name !
even in construction years ago I went through shoes every couple months. and they were destroyed in that time !
plus IMO keeping a pair of work boots/shoes for a long time only makes it worse on yourself cuz the cushion of the footware is worn out, which affects your whole body.

JoeFish said:

Alright I work on concrete 40-50 hrs a week for the last 8 years.  This might sound like hoopla to some but Im going to say it anyways.  Have you blood tested and check for deficiencies.  I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency and it caused my feet and back to hurt.  That's my story and Im sticking to it.

if you work outside how can you be vit. D deficient ?

CH,Ive been in the patch since 1981
Granted I have a less active roll now then when I did working on a rig
Conditions still remain ankle deep mud,water,oil,drip gas etc all rip on a pair of boots
KEEN builds a boot that is superior in fit(zero break in) and finish then the old Wings
My local Wing store's manager wears KEEN boots LOL!
Cant beat solid boots,simple insoles will not make it a better boot
Dont roll 26's on a $1,500 Crown Vic :rofl:

FWI I left Minot 3 days ago,now back in Texas @ 104*F :fireball:

TNKS,
I'll take a look into KEEN boots but doubt they sell'em in my area & I wont buy boots online (unless I've tried them in person somewhere else then order online)
I was a danner fan w/vibram soles until they got destroyed in less than 1 yr for that price, not worth it ! hunting boots..sure... but
work boots are disposable IMO
all that you mention isn't the problem since that's liquids, what takes the biggest toll on the boots is the grates (steps/catwalks) & the rough red scoria....eats up the soles an cuts up the leather. not a roughneck, I try to keep the rusty sidedown when running the hills & hauling.

well youre lucky cuz we're gonna have sun.//mon. temps of low 80's for high....tues. high 58, wed/thur. high low 40's with lows (all 3 nights) near freezing AND rain so that  means theres a chance of sleet/freezing rain (snow ?) for 3 days.....guess I'll be throwing some chains in the hills.
ahhh gotta love winter is already knocking when summer was late an not much of a summer.

My Redwing 877s are made in the USA. I've had them for 5 years of climbing trees and dragging brush. All they ever need is half a tub of Sno Seal every spring and fall and a new sole about every year or two. 
     Every pair of Keens I've seen (and owned) were made in China and only last a couple of weeks in the trees. And they aren't resolable. They are the definition of disposable, cheap chinese crap. They sure are prettier than my 877s, but they are crap, nonetheless.
     I still like keen shoes, since my feet are huge and I like the wide toe box. But for work? Noooooooo. lol Might as well get a pair of Skechers.

Keen boots are made in Oregon from china sourced materials just like every other brand.
Call redwing and they will tell you they do not have US quality control, what does that tell you?
My local RW store owner has been selling RW for over 30yrs, he wears Keen boots.
FWIW I dont chain up , if I cant walk on it I damn sure aint driving on it.
3-4 bad days a winter is all we see in Texas so its good trucking and easy work when you pull a 5 axle 50ton RGN :)

TNKS said:
FWIW I dont chain up , if I cant walk on it I damn sure aint driving on it.
3-4 bad days a winter is all we see in Texas so its good trucking and easy work when you pull a 5 axle 50ton RGN :)

LMAO, in oil fields of ND chaining up is a all year round thing depending on the weather and the road conditions, with the rain some roads/hills turn to complete snot.....and ice ...well that's a no brainer...chain up and get going...even though I've still been sliding around chained up an spinning to get up some hills, and in fresh snow/snow drift wondering where the road is and just going off memory that the road should be about here.....and the cattle guard is over there.....so the road should go about this way :lol:
I know 1 guy that worked here then went to TX oilfield, he said they don't use chains and if bad they don't go.....and don't deal with H2S.....heck ND the saying is "you have chains, use them !" the weather has to be extremely bad before they call it off. H2S deal with it everyday & its OL

I'm driving a double bottom, 8 axle...50 ton big deal

Back