• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Habanero ..Purple?

Hi everyone,

I need some help identifying this plant, a recent gift from my mother-in-law (oh yeah) and my first hot pepper plant, ever.

I was told it's a Habanero, but the tag didn't specify the type.. Chocolate, maybe? A couple days ago we picked a small fruit that was brown/orange in color, but as you can see most of the fruits are purple, in color.

The fun thing is that the phone camera picked it up as a brownish color but in reality they are more purple, really purple, than brown/orange.

I was told that the seller said "to pick the fruits when they are the same purple color as the leaves", which leaves me (pun intended) kinda confused.

So, the question is: is it a purple? A chocolate? Fruits have been purple for a good 5 days now, although they have some parts that are still green, so maybe they're not ripe and not good to pick..anyway, I am having difficulty identifying the sub-type :)

Thanks for helping a newbie!

HKwtWk3.jpg

g3H6Y6z.jpg

Welcome! Could be purple, or possibly Jamaican Hot Chocolate. Wait until pods finish ripening, pull one off the plant and photograph a couple of shots, then post again. 

SL3 said:
Welcome! Could be purple, or possibly Jamaican Hot Chocolate. Wait until pods finish ripening, pull one off the plant and photograph a couple of shots, then post again. 

Thanks, will do. I couldn't find any reference to a "purple" type but it seems there is one. Although the fact that one of the pods turned 100% brown/orange makes me think the purple color could be a stage before turning into the final color..mh..

I don't believe either two mentioned is the one shown here, because both have green leaves instead of purple. Unless perhaps its a genetic variation. Beautiful plant and nice looking pods.

AaronTT said:
I don't believe either two mentioned is the one shown here, because both have green leaves instead of purple. Unless perhaps its a genetic variation. Beautiful plant and nice looking pods.

Thank you! The leaves becoming purple is indeed half of the mystery that threw me off track in identifying the plant itself. I appreciate your help and the nice words, I guess my mother-in-law has the merit in picking this plant among the others :)

Hippy Seed did a review of it too.
Seberal vendors sell it if you google Purple Habanero.

I don't remember it being a purple plant,but do remember the purple brown pods.
Sun can turn leaves purple on some plants,might not be the plants usual color.

I've seen it called Purple Blush - ripens to a purple brown...If it's the same pepper...

Thanks for the info! In the video I must say the color of the two pods they use for eating is exactly like the one that I thought was "ready", on my plant. And another great thing they say that is 100% spot on is that flavor of "passion fruit", which I hadn't been able to define but yes, that's exactly what it is. It is a bit like apricot but passion fruit is definitely more appropriate.

None of the pods in the video looked purplish but nevertheless the final color is exactly like mine.

Thanks for the additional info!

Back