• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero sauce recipe?

SavinaRed said:
look on youtube there is a guy there who specializes in Caribbean/ Jamaican hot sauce recipes. 
Thanks, but I have done the internet search, and found very little on sauces using this pepper, that is why I was asking for input from members here.

I suppose I will simply have to experiment, then.

Here is a link. play with the recipe. I would add some onions and honey to what he did as I like the sweet/hot combo. Another thing that I like is the flavor of fresh oranges over lemon in my sauces, but the best thing is to experiment around a little to see which flavor profile you like the best. That is half the fun playing around with recipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRGD9dXquxw

Here is my basic recipe that I play around with and vary the heat with different peppers.

Nicks Spicy Caribbean Hot Sauce

1 small Onion -- chopped 
2-10 cloves Garlic -- chopped. I like garlic so I use more
1 cup chopped Carrots or 1 Cup carrot juice( I use Costco Organic Juice)
1-2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
4 Scotch Bonnet Habanera Peppers, 4 Serrano and 4 Jalepeno chopped (or 12-18 Habs)
2 Red or Orange Bell Peppers
1 ea juice from Orange, Lemon and Lime
Zest from each to your liking
2 Tablespoons of Honey
1 Tablespoon of Fresh Ginger
1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt 
1 Bunch of Cilantro
2 Tomatoes chopped(Optional)

Depending on how hot you like your sauces, I've used a 12-20 Habenero's and added 6-10 superhots depending on how much heat you like and left out the Jalepeno's and Serrano's. Sometimes I use all the different peppers.  Place ingredients into a blender and mix to your liking until you get the desired texture and thickness of your sauce. Last time I added some fresh pineapple and orange and left out the lemon and lime and it was really tasty.

Interesting, it is quite similar to one that I made up yesterday:

(This is a 'small batch' so, the quantities may seem odd...).

5 @ Jamaican Hot Chocolate

10 @ Red Jalapeno (very, very ripe)

1/2 @ Vidalia onion (half of the onion, not half a cup)

1/4 @ Red onion (same)

1 @ cup water

1/4 @ cup Apple Cider vinegar

1 @ can (15oz.) Apricots, drained

1/2 @ tsp. Sea Salt

1/2 @ tsp. Black Pepper

1 @ pinch Turmeric

1 @ pinch ground Ginger

1/8 @ cup lime juice

1/8 @ cup lemon juice

1 @ tbsp. crushed Garlic

2 @ tbsp. Vegetable oil

Chunk the Hot Chocolates, 5 of the Jalapenos, 1/4 Vidalia onion and place in blender with the Water, Vinegar, Apricots, Salt, Pepper, Turmeric, Ginger. Liquefy.

In a Stainless Steel sauce pan, bring the mixture to a boil, and the lime and lemon juice, reduce to simmer, stirring occasionally.

Finely mince the remaining 5 Jalapenos and Vidalia onion, and the Red onion. 

Place the Vegetable oil in a skillet, heat until just starting to smoke, add the minced ingredients and the crushed Garlic. Sweat until just beginning to caramelize.

Add to the mixture in the sauce pan, allow to simmer together for about half an hour, reducing liquid until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.

I used three 1/2 pint 'Mason' jars for canning. Sterilize jars and lids in boling water, fill jars and put lids on loosely, then return to water bath for 1/2 hour.

Remove jars and tighten lids. Allow to cool on counter for a couple of hours and then refrigerate.

Back