• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Why is it so hard to find info on Vinegar ratio?

I've been searching everywhere and getting no real answer, What would be a light but efficient Per cup hot sauce to Vinegar ratio? (Sorry I'm a newbie and I'm sure I'm asking something you guys have answered a million times.) I don't have a PH meter yet, I grew a film of  Kahm yeast a week into my 1st ferment so I'm just going to process the sauce tonight and try again once my crock gets here.    

I know nothing about hot sauce but what I made last night came out to roughly 40 ounces of sauce. I used 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar. However, I also used lemon juice and other citrus ingredients. If you do not have a meter find a recipe that is tried and true and always yields a low PH. My sauce tested at 3.1

charlesquik said:
That is awesome, if you read my response below and do the math I used 1/10th ;)

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29501-making-hot-sauce-101/

If you are making a vinegar sauce, remember this.  Tabasco peppers run about 50k shu. Tabasco sauce runs around 5k shu.  If you like that then run with it, although Tabasco ferments and ages their chilies also.

A lot depends on the other ingredients! It's a good place to start, but use common sense.   

The Hot Sauce 101 contains links to approved recipe from extension services.  Again, use common sense when substituting.  Peppers can be interchanged to what's in the recipes with no problems. 

Fermenting is totally different than making a straight cooked hot sauce.  Fermentation will bring down the pH level without the use of vinegars.  For those that don't want to ferment, some other method of getting the pH down to safe levels is employed....usually with the aid of vinegars. 

Sauces with vinegar can be cooked, bottled and immediately consumed as the pH is immediately in a safe zone.  Fermentation takes weeks/months to get the peppers into a safe pH zone, but once the ferment is in the safe pH, no further vinegar needs to be added.  It can be blended, cooked, bottled as desired.       

salsalady said:
A lot depends on the other ingredients! It's a good place to start, but use common sense.   

The Hot Sauce 101 contains links to approved recipe from extension services.  Again, use common sense when substituting.  Peppers can be interchanged to what's in the recipes with no problems. 

Fermenting is totally different than making a straight cooked hot sauce.  Fermentation will bring down the pH level without the use of vinegars.  For those that don't want to ferment, some other method of getting the pH down to safe levels is employed....usually with the aid of vinegars. 

Sauces with vinegar can be cooked, bottled and immediately consumed as the pH is immediately in a safe zone.  Fermentation takes weeks/months to get the peppers into a safe pH zone, but once the ferment is in the safe pH, no further vinegar needs to be added.  It can be blended, cooked, bottled as desired.       

Friendly, helpful, accurate, and detailed as ever.

Back