• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tasting Capsicum flexuosum - Wow!!!

Many thanks go to Christopher Phillips for sending me this extremely rare wild Capsicum species.

The aromas on this pepper are so different, it`s very hard to describe, but they smell a little sweet, slightly of vanilla and surprisingly, of White Sapote fruit. There`s a creaminess and slight tough of really lovely bitterness to the aromas. 

The texture of this pepper was also unique. The flesh was very similar to a grape, certainly a lot less than a grape, but that same kind of texture. 

The overall flavour was an amazing mix. Slightly unripe Banana, a little tannic, tropical fruity, similar to the flavor of a ripe papaya, a touch of vanilla and then some green grass and  very mild Jamaican Jerk spice. Just incredible flavours that I absolutely loved.

The heat was a big surprise. These little things pack quite a good bit of heat. Roughly between that of a Jalapeño and Cayenne. Far more than I expected, that`s for sure!

I feel so incredibly lucky and truly honored to eat this kind of pepper. Not only is it incredibly rare, but it is incredibly delicious!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cNd2O3klx4&feature=youtu.be

Texture is very similar to lanceolatum with better flavor. A grape is a perfect description. The plants aren't too shabby either ;)

Edit: After watching the video,hats off to Chris for growing that pod. Very large for this species!

Great review Nigel. Nice to see to see you enjoying that one. I understand it is rare and hard to grow, but for those who have succeeded is it productive, say like Cumari Do Para, or does it only produce a few pods?

SL3 said:
Great review Nigel. Nice to see to see you enjoying that one. I understand it is rare and hard to grow, but for those who have succeeded is it productive, say like Cumari Do Para, or does it only produce a few pods?
Produces a lot of fruit that are parthenocarpic. Hard to get a lot of seed from the plants. Mine produce more pollen and nicer fruit late in the season.

Hi Nigel great review as ever, I wish I had such a trained palate and the ability to separate all the little nuances and different smells.
It takes a true talent to get your taste buds and nose to work together and discern what each little flavor is like and how much heat such a little pepper it has.
C. Flexuosum is definitely a rare and difficult species to grow, Am I correct that it is one of the 26 Chromosome species? if so I wonder how much of its DNA plays a role in the unique flavonoids and capsaicin oil placement within the pepper being that it has no real placenta or nodules to hold the oils.

wildseed57 said:
Hi Nigel great review as ever, I wish I had such a trained palate and the ability to separate all the little nuances and different smells.
It takes a true talent to get your taste buds and nose to work together and discern what each little flavor is like and how much heat such a little pepper it has.
C. Flexuosum is definitely a rare and difficult species to grow, Am I correct that it is one of the 26 Chromosome species? if so I wonder how much of its DNA plays a role in the unique flavonoids and capsaicin oil placement within the pepper being that it has no real placenta or nodules to hold the oils.
Hi George. Thank you for the compliments, my friend. It is very surprising to me, given where it comes from, to find that flexuosum has 24 chromosomes. Quite what it`s evolutionary story is, I don`t know, but it is incredibly different to any other Capsicum I`ve had. John says that Lanceolatum is similar, which is interesting. I have a small Lanceolatum plant, so maybe I`ll get to try one of those, too!

Nigel said:
Hi George. Thank you for the compliments, my friend. It is very surprising to me, given where it comes from, to find that flexuosum has 24 chromosomes. Quite what it`s evolutionary story is, I don`t know, but it is incredibly different to any other Capsicum I`ve had. John says that Lanceolatum is similar, which is interesting. I have a small Lanceolatum plant, so maybe I`ll get to try one of those, too!
Let me get my seed stock up and I will get you some to try. A couple weeks probably. Very bland taste and little heat. The texture is very similar to flexuosum,maybe not as juicy. Suprisingly dense for a wild variety.

Back