• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting My 1st shot at Fermenting-end results

So I grew a bunch of peppers and wanted to make hot sauce Turns out to be a bit harder than I thought!!!   I start my ferment with 2 and a half pounds of peppers I grew in my garden, Everything is great lol 6th day I grew a nice film of Kahm yeast and decided to pull it and save what I could. 

Started with-
1_zpsa4f44fdd.jpg

1-Took my mash put it in a blender was 6 cups 

2- Added 4 cloves garlic 1/4 carrot and a 1/4 onion and a half TBS of salt

3- Blended it all together blended the crap out of it

4-Boiled it for 25 min

5- Strained it with a grape press ended up with 4 cups of juice 

6 - added the juice of one lime and and a bit over a half cup of apple cider vinegar

tasted ok but needed something

8- Added 2 TBS of brown sugar

Now it's not bad taste like a roasted Tabasco with a bit more kick cant wait for it to age a few weeks.

Ended with---Yep that's all I got:)

done_zps2e7247cb.jpg

It was still missing something tonight when I tried it.. So I added 1 tablespoon of honey and the juice of half a lime  to each bottle and blended for 10 min now it's delicious!  Before it had a taste of the pepper skins all most a sour sweet taste but was going away the longer it sit in the fridge But now with the honey and extra lime It's really good- Hope the Honey also act as a binding agent. What was strange is I had 4 bottles from the same batch 2 separated in the fridge and 2 didn't beyond logic for me. 

Gargoyle91 said:
What was strange is I had 4 bottles from the same batch 2 separated in the fridge and 2 didn't beyond logic for me. 

I've had this happen too - bottles that came from the beginning of the batch separated and those at the end didn't.  Next time around I really gave it the go to with the immersion blender prior to bottling and no more separation.  Not bad at all for a first time Gargoyle!!

Back