• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

First try at Smoked Powder

Nothing new but I tried it.  First attempt at making some smoked powder, 1 hour at 155° and in the dehydrator at 97° for 5 days.  I tried a few woods and kept coming back to Hickory, the pepper type really dictates the wood from what I noticed.  I preferred the taste/smell of Hickory for an all around wood but I tried Alder, Peach and Hickory. 

Seems like the hotter peppers normal flavor was offset a little by the deeper smoke.  The red, on the left, is a mix of Reaper, Moruga, 7 Pot Jonah, Douglah and Bhuts, its pretty warm.  The darker powder is Chocolate Habanero and Chocolate Naga x Congo.  The dark powder took the smoke really well and even though its really hot still has that deep smell that makes me think I've got some BBQ on the smoker.  I'm going to play with mixing this into my normal Rib Rub in very small amounts until I get it where I like the heat. 

I bought a new burr grinder to try and just went with my magic bullet in the end.  The burr grinder was a PITA to clean vs. using the multiple blade heads which were much easier to manage.  I split some out to send to Seacowboy for the amazing box of peppers he just sent me.

20140830_212554_zpstadmcnt1.jpg

20140828_1520131_zps5a8d3997.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looks very nice!
Thanks you were spot on with the time/temp on the smoke.  I pulled mine a little early because I was afraid the hickory would be a little overbearing at 2 hours.  I dont think it would have hurt the red mix, those peppers are pungent.  The Habanero seems to take smoke well and the Naga X Congos thinner skin dehydrated way down but added a good amount of heat.  Ill need to find a way to mix this down and use in my everyday cooking spices, dont think it will take much :)

Yes Sir,in Texas good ole post oak is preferred wood choice in many smokers away from the tourist that are set on mesquite.
Pecan is also a favorite but its easy to over smoke things as its pretty strong like mesquite
Removing the bark off of these woods makes a better smoke flavor without the resins and sap thats dried in the bark being cooked off on your product.
Mixing these two woods also produces nice flavors with meats,fruit and veggies

I did some Primo pods over oak and the powder taste like grilled pineapple and then the heat comes on strong :)
CraigJS said:
Perhaps Oak or Pecan wood ?

TNKS

That grilled pineapple taste sounds amazing, can you share a little more info about it.  What type of pods, smoked and dehydrated?

Thanks 

I cold smoked all of mine this year so not sure if that makes a difference versus the low heat you had.  My favorite was one of my last batches where I did mix of hickory and pecan for about 4 hours. Reloaded with chips after about 2 which was the normal amount my smoker would go for without a reload.  Most of my batches this year were 2 hours and turned out really good, but the 4 hour batch gave a much more intense smoke flavor.  Next year will probably do more of these as sometimes the additional smoke flavor is good in certain foods. Also tried cherry, apple, and some orange, but hickory and pecan were my favorites.  Next year will have to try oak and might try some of the jack daniels chips.

Back