• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Starter peppers for flavor?

Hey guys, I've been posting a lot lately (let me know if I get annoying :P), this time I am looking for peppers that show the broad characteristics between flavor and heat and where the heat originates in your mouth that won't rip my head completely off. That way I know what I am tasting smokey/grassy/floral etc.. or feeling pain/heat/throat/tongue etc. When I go to the super hots. You know, just want to get my palate all ready and know what I am tasting.  

For instance I am not sure what a Habanero tastes like, I have had a few but I couldn't explain the flavor.

Thank you guys!

So are you saying that habaneros are too hot for you to taste at this point? That's an important thing, as that will give us an idea of what you are ready for. 

To me, habaneros have a nice, citrusy start, but then they leave a kind of ammonia after-taste that I dislike. I like several baccatuums - they've got a wide, varying flavor profile, but aren't typically as hot as chinenses. Or, at least, the heat doesn't last as long. Aji habanero is one of my favorite baccatuums; they're extremely mild, and actually remind me of oranges. 

geeme said:
So are you saying that habaneros are too hot for you to taste at this point? That's an important thing, as that will give us an idea of what you are ready for. 

To me, habaneros have a nice, citrusy start, but then they leave a kind of ammonia after-taste that I dislike. I like several baccatuums - they've got a wide, varying flavor profile, but aren't typically as hot as chinenses. Or, at least, the heat doesn't last as long. Aji habanero is one of my favorite baccatuums; they're extremely mild, and actually remind me of oranges. 
Nah habaneros aren't too hot but I would say that the habanero heat is about as high as I want to go for trying to pick out flavors. To me the Habanero(at least the home grown ones I had) tasted like how burning tires smell, :P. I don't know whether habs are considered fruity/smokey/floral.  

My goal is to refine my taste buds for peppers. So I would like to know whats a medium heat floral, medium heat smokey, medium heat fruity etc etc. If that makes sense :)

This year is the first year I'm growing chinenses. I have chosen to grow a couple of varieties (pink habanero, trinidad perfume) that have no heat, with the purpose of getting to know the taste/aroma without being hindered by the heat. This experience has learned me that I actually don't like the chinense taste... :)

FarmerJones said:
An overripe Serrano is where you wanna be. I don't understand how jalapeño ever got popular with Serrano hanging around.
+1 ... and red Fresno is similar to Jalapeño (heat wise) but has much better, sweeter flavor IMO

Thanks guys. I think my list is as follows.

Brown Hab
Aji Dulce
Aji Lemon
Tepin
Fresh Cayenne (Have had powder ALOT)
Overripe Serrano
Scotch Bonnet

That list cover the full spectrum of pepper flavor? Thanks again!

Hey you guys left out chile de agua,onza amarillo,onza rojo,robertos coban seasoning,datil,chile blanco,aji tapachula.just a few more to add to your list.

Back