• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Any ol' whey?

Any thoughts/facts regarding which type of yogurt such as fat free, regular, greek style, ect? I recently bought a store brand of non fat plain yogurt, seperated out the whey,and that got me thinking. I figured looks like whey, must be whey, right?

Valleyman said:
Any thoughts/facts regarding which type of yogurt such as fat free, regular, greek style, ect? I recently bought a store brand of non fat plain yogurt, seperated out the whey,and that got me thinking. I figured looks like whey, must be whey, right?
plain yogurt, just make sure it says "live active cultures" not all yogurt considered equal

My Reaper Mash is practically rumbling!

I was a little concerned about only an inch of headspace but I figured it would be OK with the airlock. Man the brine is rising higher and higher into the water chamber.

This is day three or four. Am I in trouble? I also didn't put the silicone gasket on and she's leaking out the threaded part of the jar. Maybe that was a good thing based in the intense activity?

Day 3 or 4

Day 1

My mistake. The above reply was suppose to go to the Reaper Mash thread I stated. I copied and moved it there but I thought I could delete it from here. Sorry

Well since it's here, I used Whey strained from Target's Non Fat Plain Yogurt.

I tend towards Dannon's Plain yogurt. I get the big tubs and let it separate overnight in the fridge. I've used the Greek style and it worked out fine but didn't get as much whey from it as with the Dannon. 

How much whey do I use? Do I use all of the whey from a quart of yogurt per ferment?

Thanks
Jim

p.s. Greek yogurt doesn't have much whey that is what makes it so creamy.

Back