• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water can't figure how to plan the drip irrigation schedule

plants are 6 months old in a 4 gallon pots (net volume) with generic potting mix.
my drip irrigation system is with 1 gal/h emitters ,i have south face balcony and there is a low wall that protects the containers from direct sun light
how can i determine the total time for each watering/times per day?/days on a week?
for now its 15 min every day, water doesn't get flow out of the the pots, with 20 min water flow away from the pots

I'd let the soil dry out until the plants start to wilt. Then water them for 15 mins and wait for them to wilt again. This will tell you how much water they need, assuming the weather is more or less the same and all the plants are in equal pots and are at the same development stage (especially the roots). Watering less frequently but thoroughly is better for peppers than frequent small waterings.

Remember that the larger the plants get the more water they will use "IF" all else were equal including temperature, wind, humidity, etc... all of which will obviously change.  I second what Zoli wrote, to note how long it takes till they droop and increase water amount until they don't droop much until you have a chance to water again.   Mark on a calendar when and how much you water then decide based on that.

Try not to water enough that you lose water out the bottom as that washes away nutrients.

Back