• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Peppers During Winter

Hello thehotpepper! I am a new to this forum and pepper growing in general, but I seem to get a pretty decent sized batch of peppers coming in every week. My question regards me growing my peppers inside during the winter time (because east coast winters are anything but nice to plants,) the peppers I intend to bring in are my 4 Habeneros, 1 Red Bhut Jolokia, 1 Peach Bhut Jolokia, 1 Jigsaw Pepper, and this one pepper plant that I got that looks like a christmas tree (the peppers look exactly like those multi-colored christmas lights.) So if anyone can help me by giving personal experience or a website describing how to grow peppers indoors during the winter (i.e. Tips, tricks, digging out the plants, ideal conditions etc.) That could be very helpful!

Thanks

-James

Theres a sticky somewhere with a 'complete guide to overwintering' plants. If you actually want to produce fresh pods all winter, you'll need some grow lights even if you're just supplementing daylight.

It's pinned to the top of the grow thread: http://thehotpepper.com/forum/100-growing-hot-peppers/

I'll qualify this - I have not read the "comprehensive" guide as I was overwintering before that was ever posted. However, I've peeked at it, and it seems to be focused on letting the plants go dormant. This is a personal choice - you can let them go dormant or not. If you want them to keep producing, you won't want them to go dormant, and you won't want to prune them as severely. And as noted by bd, you'll want to get some supplemental lighting unless they're in a place that truly gets at least 6 hours of very direct sunlight each day. 

yeah it's pretty important to get rid of pests before bringing them in.  There are a lot of threads on neem baths and the like.  Once they're dormant and dry the aphids disappear but if you intend to grow all winter you'll need to get rid of them before bringing them inside.

If you want to produce peppers all during the winter, you will either need a metal halide, or a good sized wattage LED. Thinking for the amount and size of the plants you talk about, you will probably need a 1000w MH. I am producing peppers all year in my greenhouse, but for me, the size and quality of the pods goes down during this time. I think the temperature is too low for quality production, bit in your case, in a small area with one of those lights, you will have to worry about to much heat. As an example, I'd say try to keep the growing area around 80f more or less for decent pod production. Tom

Back