• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Scotch Bonnets stay green and not very hot?

These were sold to me as scotch bonnets, and they appear to be too. However they've stayed green for the whole summer and haven't turned, and really don't have much heat at all, almost like a bell pepper. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

I was gonna say they wouldn't still look as fresh as they do if they been on the plant the entire summer. Just keep waiting. They will turn a different color. My guess would be red.

willard3 said:
Patience is a virtue in growing chiles........
Yes, but I'm in oregon and it's now september. In all my past years of growing I could count on maturity by this point, because we don't have a very hot september here. Just figured maybe cross pollination or something like that might have happened...

Clackamas is all about September and October with hot peppers and tomatoes. I grew in the area for many years (Lake Oswego, Tualatin), before recently moving. If you have a nice mild "indian summer" you will be in pod heaven. If it gets really cool and rainy early, it won't be a good season unless you can move some plants into a greenhouse. Usually, the weather is decent enough through October - but it's a matter of degree.

Define "summer" for your area - it really makes a difference. We have very short "summers" here - and I quote it because this year it's almost like we haven't had a summer at all. It's been very rainy and very chilly so the plants are just slugging along as slowly as I've ever seen. We normally have short growing seasons (N.E. Ohio), but this year is almost ridiculous. My chinenses have only started to pod up in the last couple of weeks, and none are remotely ripe - most are not even full-size yet. You know, some years you win, and some years you lose. 

geeme said:
Define "summer" for your area - it really makes a difference. We have very short "summers" here - and I quote it because this year it's almost like we haven't had a summer at all. It's been very rainy and very chilly so the plants are just slugging along as slowly as I've ever seen. We normally have short growing seasons (N.E. Ohio), but this year is almost ridiculous. My chinenses have only started to pod up in the last couple of weeks, and none are remotely ripe - most are not even full-size yet. You know, some years you win, and some years you lose. 
Summers here don't really get kickin til late june and stays fairly consistently dry and around the 70-90 range until maybe mid september, where it starts to cool down and slide back into the 50ish degree drizzle weather for a good 8 months.

Back