• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seeds on the way-Planting Southern Cali.

I got about 15 different variety's coming I'm in Long Beach Ca.  Should I go ahead and plant them or wait until spring?  I gets down into the 50's sometimes in Nov-Jan. Anyone else growing Peppers in this area?   

seems like you can plant them whenever you want since you never hit freezing.
wait for people from CA to chime in ofc.

I`m in north county San Diego. If you want to start seeds now, you`ll probably need to bring plants indoors in Jan-early March. My plants are dormant at that time and we occasionally get 45°F weather at night, but mainly around 50°F., plus the low sun does`t give the plants a lot of light. I start seeds in Jan/Feb indoors using a heat mat and cheap CFL bulb set-up. It`s cheap to run and works very well. 

I am in Irvine Ca.. its a little closer than North SD.  I like you only hit 50's and maybe one or two days high 40's.. but never freezing.  Plants are surprisingly hardy if they are grown out by the time the cloder weather coomes.  I have not stoped germinating seeds because i know thay we are not going to have a frost and the plants will grow.  How are you planning to grow you plants?  Indoors, pots, in ground? natural light, artificial, if so what  type. Let me know, i can definitely help.

Emald001 said:
I am in Irvine Ca.. its a little closer than North SD.  I like you only hit 50's and maybe one or two days high 40's.. but never freezing.  Plants are surprisingly hardy if they are grown out by the time the cloder weather coomes.  I have not stoped germinating seeds because i know thay we are not going to have a frost and the plants will grow.  How are you planning to grow you plants?  Indoors, pots, in ground? natural light, artificial, if so what  type. Let me know, i can definitely help.

Going to try 5 gallon pot's on a sun deck with them maybe later put them in raised beds, It's been so Hot and dry my garden attracted every insect and pest known to man this year. So I think the Pot's would be a better choice.

Good call,  I currently have limited space but i am growing a diff variety of peppers in 3,4 gallon pots.  Depending on the feeding schedule and also the light it should work out for you.  Let me know if you have any questions, 

Get them going now!  With two months of reasonably warm weather left, the plants will get a decent head start on next year. Sure, growth will slow over the winter, but they will do fine, particularly if you can move the plants into as much direct sun as possible.  By next spring they will be primed to take off, and will set flowers and fruit surprisingly early.

Pots are good, as are assorted grow-bags.  FWIW, I rather like my 50 cent wallybags.  :)

^ I agree, you may as well start them..whats the worst that can happen? no fruits over winter, but have huge plants ready to take off when things heat up!

Back