• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Am I the only one who ...

Careful.  I got a warning from this same thing.  Made a suggestion to the member they should get to know the place a bit before spamming it.  Was warned, and that member never did post again and was indeed here for nothing ther than to spam the board.

Orekoc said:
... gets suspicious when a new member's first and only post so far is an ad that they posted it in less than 30 minutes from joining?

It just seems odd. But may it is just me. I'm sure I'm not the most sane person here.

I thought the same thing as well, if you and I are indeed thinking of the same post. I have no issue with people selling their capsaicin-soaked wares on here, but yeah, if their first post is an ad, it also sends a red flag up for me as well. And like Browning just said, perhaps if they introduces themselves, got to know people on here, and then began selling it'd be a different matter :)

Browning said:
Careful.  I got a warning from this same thing.  Made a suggestion to the member they should get to know the place a bit before spamming it.  Was warned, and that member never did post again and was indeed here for nothing their than to spam the board.
Thanks Browning. I'm trying to figure out the etiquette here. 96strat was kind enough to give me some pointer/hints. I know I'm wading in blind into a tight knit group of very passionate people, so I'm really trying to not step on toes. This just struck me as odd, but it could be completely normal; which is why I asked. I'm new here and I'm not growing this year, so I'm really trying to sit back and listen and watch. A coworker has told me on more than one occasion that "Nobody's brain works like yours." I've never quite figure out if it is a compliment or an insult, but it does mean that I have to check and see if I'm out of line with my thinking. I appreciate any advice, so, again, thanks.

Man, I've got to learn to proof read better. I say it right in my head as I read it. Post it. Read it again, and it is soooooooo wrong.

Nothing wrong with someone who starts with an ad. Maybe they searched google for hot sauce classified ads and found us. We do have them for a reason! Maybe they saw it like a craigslist for hot sauce. Don't be so quick to judge. The problem is sometimes people jump on those that start with ads and are rude instead of welcoming. Then they don't come back because the community is rude. There's spammers and there's legit people into hot sauce. When welcomed to the forum they will most likely get into the groove unless it is obvious spam like the pills and brides stuff, in which case you can flag them on their profile page. "Flag As Spammer." :)

The Hot Pepper said:
Nothing wrong with someone who starts with an ad. Maybe they searched google for hot sauce classified ads and found us. We do have them for a reason! Maybe they saw it like a craigslist for hot sauce. Don't be so quick to judge. The problem is sometimes people jump on those that start with ads and are rude instead of welcoming. Then they don't come back because the community is rude. There's spammers and there's legit people into hot sauce. When welcomed to the forum they will most likely get into the groove unless it is obvious spam like the pills and brides stuff, in which case you can flag them on their profile page. "Flag As Spammer." :)
I'll admit I, thought it a little strange at first. But yes at least they put the right product on our table. I will go welcome them, but do you know where I can get some black magic sex advice?  :lol:

Browning said:
Careful.  I got a warning from this same thing.  Made a suggestion to the member they should get to know the place a bit before spamming it.  Was warned, and that member never did post again and was indeed here for nothing ther than to spam the board.

How is it "spamming the boards" if a member signs up, and makes one "pepper related" post in Forum Ads? They deserve to be called a spammer and have their sale ruined by members piling on? When they actually sought out the correct section, Forum Ads? That bothers you? When it has nothing to do with the discussion area?

Haven't you ever posted a sale on ebay and not returned for a couple years? So what? We are the #1 pepper site. We have an ad section. Maybe some people would like to post an ad here instead of ebay because of the pepper audience. Maybe they don't want to chat. So what?

Yes, if a member is chased off the site because they are called a spammer because they thought they could come to a cool site like this and post an ad in the correct section, then that member who chased them away may indeed get a warning. You are correct. I remember the post and it was a pile on of rude welcomes.

Now is it nice when they join the discussions as well? Yes, of course. Do you trust them more when you can see they have been here awhile? Sure, I get that. But no need to call someone a spammer for doing something that is allowed and encouraged on this site. We welcome all pepper lovers, vendors, etc., even if they only want to post one ad in 5 years. And if you don't want to participate in the offer, don't. Simple.

If they sign up and start spamming all the discussions and hijack discussions with a sale and do it 5 times, that is spam, and in this case we warn and let them know the proper protocol.

Thanks!

Simple wait to trade with them until they have at least 100-200 posts. however, if you dont trade sell or give someone else will oblige. I've been burned and thats my personal rule. 

Yup, good advice to wait until a member is established. Like a member with 0 on ebay. But also it's rude to welcome a new trader with "SPAM!!!" comments. They have to start somewhere! :)

Orekoc said:
A coworker has told me on more than one occasion that "Nobody's brain works like yours." I've never quite figure out if it is a compliment or an insult, but it does mean that I have to check and see if I'm out of line with my thinking. I appreciate any advice, so, again, thanks.

Man, I've got to learn to proof read better. I say it right in my head as I read it. Post it. Read it again, and it is soooooooo wrong.

Pffft, have you ever noticed the people that say those things are about as exciting as a diet of old bread sopped in skim milk? It's a compliment, even if he didn't mean it as one. When a mouth breather says I'm wierd, all I hear is "You ain't like me", which is great, because I would jump from a high bridge in to a dry creek if I walked around looking like a fish.

miguelovic said:

Pffft, have you ever noticed the people that say those things are about as exciting as a diet of old bread sopped in skim milk? It's a compliment, even if he didn't mean it as one. When a mouth breather says I'm wierd, all I hear is "You ain't like me", which is great, because I would jump from a high bridge in to a dry creek if I walked around looking like a fish.
Thanks Miguel, you made my day.

It's not strange thinking at all. :)

A lot of people feel that way.

Hope this thread helped.

Orekoc said:
Thanks Miguel, you made my day.

OMG (For reference, I never say that).

You just made my day.

TO WIT:

In my business, you meet so many interesting people. But the most interesting ones are the monsters.

Right. Might explain that one. Bugs Bunny avatar.

Hell yeah I still watch Looney Tunes.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yup, good advice to wait until a member is established. Like a member with 0 on ebay. But also it's rude to welcome a new trader with "SPAM!!!" comments. They have to start somewhere! :)
Its actually how I started on this board. I poked around and asked for seeds to Iggys massive Piquin, its been downhill from there. Its unfortunate that I have become jaded from the new guys.  

LUCKYDOG said:
Its actually how I started on this board. I poked around and asked for seeds to Iggys massive Piquin, its been downhill from there. Its unfortunate that I have become jaded from the new guys.  
I'll try to remember to wait till I have 200 posts before asking you for a trade. Now, when I ask, I try to start off with I'm new here and I'm not offended if you say no. Because I get it.

I offered some tomato seeds and got a request for 20+ varieties. I said sure, send me a SASBE and haven't heard from them since. The seeds are packed and ready to go.
The Hot Pepper said:
It's not strange thinking at all. :)

A lot of people feel that way.

Hope this thread helped.
Yeah, it did.

Orekoc said:
I'll try to remember to wait till I have 200 posts before asking you for a trade. Now, when I ask, I try to start off with I'm new here and I'm not offended if you say no. Because I get it.

Glad you understand - there are a lot of 1-5 post wonders looking for the hottest world record mega hot seed right off the bat. I may be persnickety but others are not - no sweat from me

Back