• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense My ghosts aren't hot

Please help! My hubby and I are on a never ending quest to destroy our friend who claims he can never find a hot sauce hot enough. We are not fire eaters so our crop of habaneros and jolokias has been on a learning curve. The habaneros blistered my tongue and we were both very impressed. But the jolokias, which smell sweet, have very little heat. Didn't even burn skin which is the kind of pepper I'm really looking for. Any ideas? It is a healthy plant with lots of peppers.

Can u give me a quick run down on fast and easy way to upload a pic to this forum? Btw I'm on an Android

miguelovic said:

Send 'em my way :rofl:

Don't worry, I'll manage.... but they're so damn hot ... I'll need to dry some

Naga Chomper said:
I think Imma change my name to "Ghost Buster".

I ain't afraid of no ghost...

I was 100% expecting someone using the line from ghost busters :) :)

I do apologize but I am not able to post pictures at this time. For sake of argument let's just assume that these ARE bhut jolokia. Is there any reason a healthy plant would produce nice healthy peppers that just don't live up to the claimed heat of a ghost? Don't get me wrong they are hot. But not nearly as hot as I expected.

Jami said:
I do apologize but I am not able to post pictures at this time.

If you can't post pics, I can.

Do they look like this?
20140904_190622.jpg

Also, look at the leaves. See how the edges are a little serrated. This is a ghost and it is hot.

Your answer----too much water.

There are several other reasons, but I have that one on a few of mine.

Jami said:
I do apologize but I am not able to post pictures at this time. For sake of argument let's just assume that these ARE bhut jolokia. Is there any reason a healthy plant would produce nice healthy peppers that just don't live up to the claimed heat of a ghost? Don't get me wrong they are hot. But not nearly as hot as I expected.

No, they're always hot as hell.

Ours are identical to the pic. And we only water it when it is wilted and droopy. But we have had a few rainy spells here and there.

SL3 said:
Second that! I got the seeds for these from Dulac. And they will light you up!
Those look great!

Mine look like this:
15008154100_ca3f84d5a8.jpg

Bhuts have a lot of variation and I selected these for 3 years (now on 4th).

Here are some more normal bhut jolokia reds for reference:

7919363262_0906df92a3.jpg

These are ungodly hot even when green.

Jami said:
Ours are identical to the pic. And we only water it when it is wilted and droopy. But we have had a few rainy spells here and there.
Could you give us a pic of the leaves and fruit? The serrated leaves are a hallmark of nagas/bhuts. The shape posted looks right. It rains a lot here and doesn't seem to affect the heat. If you have a low heat bhut jolokia, I'd be very interested and willing to trade the strain I grow and even hotter varieties.

Edit:

Here is some talk about variation in CPI bhuts (original source of the bhut jolokia reds I grow):

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44829-cpi-bhut-variation/

May I suggest Carolina Reaper seeds from Puckerbutt or Trinidad Scorpion Morouga seeds from The Chili Pepper Institute. Both have reached scoville ratings twice that of the Bhut Jolokia. You can probably find someone selling a few fresh pods in the classifieds section of this web site. 

Dulac said:
Those look great!

Mine look like this:
15008154100_ca3f84d5a8.jpg

Bhuts have a lot of variation and I selected these for 3 years (now on 4th).
Wow, those are simply breath taking. Four years of selecting. When are you going to release seed of them?

Back