• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Lucky Dog- Dia Del Perro Hot Sauce Review

Thanks for the very kind words Dylan!   :woohoo: 

Apple sauce & carrots were intended to add a tiny hint of sweetness. This sauce was my attempt to capture the table sauces I loved here in CA in my youth, while adding a few of the Lucky Dog twists like roasted garlic & toasted onion. There's a little habanero-infused sea salt, so as you eat it you get a little lip burn. The chile tepin adds a note similar to Cayenne, but the dominant flavor is the alderwood smoked serrano and roasted garlic. 

This sauce will be released to the public on Friday, September 12th!  It was an exclusive release through Kickstarter - but now the backers have all received their sauce & shirts, so in a week I'll do the official release to the rest of the world. Thanks to everyone who got behind my Kickstarter - the new delivery vehicle is great! 

Thanks again for the great review and the tremendous feedback - I'll take a 10/10 any day! 
:cheers: 

Scott 
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Thanks for the great review Red, the way you describe the flavors and aroma make it a must try. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I've haven't had the chance to try any of the Lucky Dog sauces but after seeing so many awesome reviews like this about how damn good they are trying them is at the top of my to do list. Hopefully soon I'll be able to taste for myself just how good they really are!

Scorched said:
Thanks for the great review Red, the way you describe the flavors and aroma make it a must try. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I've haven't had the chance to try any of the Lucky Dog sauces but after seeing so many awesome reviews like this about how damn good they are trying them is at the top of my to do list. Hopefully soon I'll be able to taste for myself just how good they really are!
Thanks for watching man! You'll have to pick up some Lucky Dog sauces- they are definitely some of the best sauces I've tried to date. 

I've been putting off my LDHS order, but plan on finally picking up a few bottles in the next week or 2. This one is definitely on my list. Thanks for the review Dylan! Sounds great Scott - can't wait to jump on the band wagon

Thanks! I'd love to get some.

I don't think Apple Cider Vinegar tastes good in my sauces. I tried many times, but it always has a hint of "apple pie" that doesn't work well with my recipes. I stick to plain white vinegar.

hottoddy said:
Thanks! I'd love to get some.

I don't think Apple Cider Vinegar tastes good in my sauces. I tried many times, but it always has a hint of "apple pie" that doesn't work well with my recipes. I stick to plain white vinegar.
For me it's just a personal preference- I dig sauces with less vinegar. But some people love a high vinegar sauce. Do what you like man 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
40% of my sauces have white, 60% cider vinegar.

Different vinegars will feature or mute other flavors. When prototyping the new sauce, I found that the white vinegar competed with the sharp notes of the tomatillo - when I used the more subtle cider vinegar, the tomatillo shined. They both have their place though.

:cheers:
Fun with vinegars! I did some experimenting with rice wine vinegar in my BBQ sauce. Turned out to be a flop and went back to my ACV.

Looking forward to trying out the dog. I love the art on the label. I would buy this for the label alone. But I know the sauce will be killer.

Husker21 said:
Fun with vinegars! I did some experimenting with rice wine vinegar in my BBQ sauce. Turned out to be a flop and went back to my ACV.

Looking forward to trying out the dog. I love the art on the label. I would buy this for the label alone. But I know the sauce will be killer.
It will be on sale on my website starting tomorrow at ~08:00 AM PT!
:woohoo:

outlaw said:
I've been patiently waiting :party: I'm going to be ordering a few bottles! I'm thinking..

-Dia Del Perro
-Orange
-Red
-Black

You might want to add Pink to that list. In my opinion, the Pink Label is one of the best hot sauces I have had to date. I just wish I had know about this before I made my last order... I would have easily added this sauce. I think that you make some brilliant sauces Scott.  :clap:  :D

GrowTheHeat said:

You might want to add Pink to that list. In my opinion, the Pink Label is one of the best hot sauces I have had to date. I just wish I had know about this before I made my last order... I would have easily added this sauce. I think that you make some brilliant sauces Scott.  :clap:  :D

Thank you, and I'm sorry about the lack of info - my bad. I should have announced this was coming a week ago. 
:(

I'mma send you a PM with a suggestion - I appreciate your business and I want to make this right. :cheers: 
Also, what the heck - I went ahead and launched the page. Special THP early-bird access. I'll announce it on FB in the morning, but there ya go. Dia del Perro is live! 

I have tried your purple green red pink orange and black. All great. Dia del perro is your best to date! I tried it on a spoon as well as pizza and tacos. Has me jonesing for Taco Tuesday.

That's the one Lucky Dog sauce I have yet to try! I'm sure it's amazing, I'll have to find a way to get it for sure!

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

How'd you like the sauce?!?

My bottles are almost gone! Out of the 3 I ordered I think I like Dia Del Perro the best, but....I really like the Orange and Pink too! They all go well with different things. I really like the Orange on pizza and have been using the DDP and Pink on chicken burritos almost daily. I mentioned it in a different post, but I am just blown away by the depth of flavors and uniqueness in each sauce. Usually in a line of sauces from the same company you will get a hint of the same flavor or base, but with LDHS I can honestly say each kind is different, unique, and of course delicious! I am going to need to re-order very soon :)

Scott - sorry if this is a dumb question, but are your sauces fermented?

Back